Can this work

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a figure 8 puffer and want to breed snails for it. I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank for my tetras and wondering if I can just add a two way breeder and breed the snails there. Would that work?

something like this to have floating inside the tank with snails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's fine. I've had ramshorns breed in a plastic cup when I was tranpsorting them.
I don't think you need to buy a specific breeding box, but I assume that makes searching for the snails easier.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea probably... Just get a Malaysian trumpet snail and they'll do the rest (Sounds like a Seachem commercial lol).Your puffer will have a buffet of snails to feast on lol

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah!!! All I see is desperate tanks or buckets. But I have no room for it. So I figure I do this instead. But how? Just buy a breeder container. And throw a couple of snails in there with some lettuce or something?

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol true. Malaysian trumpet snail are good for my figure 8?
My figure 8 is really small. Like half an inch. Tiny little puffer. Snails wil still be needed right now?

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NO! Do not feed MTS to your F8s! MTS have hard shells and it might hurt their little puffer teethies! Feed pond snails!

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pond snails! Got it. The same will be done then. Throw a couple in the container with lettuce?

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Or ramshorn snails.

I can't help you there, I haven't had success with keeping them for long periods of time. So I just get the snails from an LFS and feed that day or the day after. If you can get a colony established, kudos to you.

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmmmmm... Sounds like a lot more than I have planned.

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i got 4 pond snails from my LFS for free of course. and i threw them in my tank. and not they have all seperated in the tank. will they still multiple like that or should i put them in a smaller container. currently they are loose in a 20 gallon tank

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They'll still multiply. You can't get them to stop multiplying once they start, lol.

PuffPuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
that scares me when u say they dont stop once they start. i have a puffer so thats a good thing, just hope its not to the ponit where i have a 20 gallon stocked to the max with pond snails.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as they're not overfed they don't breed as quicky. I started with 2 ramshorn and now, a few months later have about 100. This is after I sent about 40 off to be puffer food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom