Can this work

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by PuffPuff, Jul 12, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

I have a figure 8 puffer and want to breed snails for it. I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank for my tetras and wondering if I can just add a two way breeder and breed the snails there. Would that work?

something like this to have floating inside the tank with snails.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Thomas Lin

Thomas Lin Valued Member Member

That's fine. I've had ramshorns breed in a plastic cup when I was tranpsorting them.
    I don't think you need to buy a specific breeding box, but I assume that makes searching for the snails easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea probably... Just get a Malaysian trumpet snail and they'll do the rest (Sounds like a Seachem commercial lol).Your puffer will have a buffet of snails to feast on lol

4. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

Yeah!!! All I see is desperate tanks or buckets. But I have no room for it. So I figure I do this instead. But how? Just buy a breeder container. And throw a couple of snails in there with some lettuce or something?

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think they'll breed anywhere, buckets, vases, lol. Just keep them fed.

6. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

Lol true. Malaysian trumpet snail are good for my figure 8?
    My figure 8 is really small. Like half an inch. Tiny little puffer. Snails wil still be needed right now?

7. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

NO! Do not feed MTS to your F8s! MTS have hard shells and it might hurt their little puffer teethies! Feed pond snails!

8. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

Pond snails! Got it. The same will be done then. Throw a couple in the container with lettuce?

9. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Or ramshorn snails.

I can't help you there, I haven't had success with keeping them for long periods of time. So I just get the snails from an LFS and feed that day or the day after. If you can get a colony established, kudos to you.

10. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

Hmmmmm... Sounds like a lot more than I have planned.

11. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

i got 4 pond snails from my LFS for free of course. and i threw them in my tank. and not they have all seperated in the tank. will they still multiple like that or should i put them in a smaller container. currently they are loose in a 20 gallon tank

12. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They'll still multiply. You can't get them to stop multiplying once they start, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

that scares me when u say they dont stop once they start. i have a puffer so thats a good thing, just hope its not to the ponit where i have a 20 gallon stocked to the max with pond snails.

14. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

As long as they're not overfed they don't breed as quicky. I started with 2 ramshorn and now, a few months later have about 100. This is after I sent about 40 off to be puffer food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice