Can This Go Untreated?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Sonya, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Sonya

SonyaValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    I have new Sterba corycats - and one little guy has developed this white patch. I'm pretty sure it's fungus. I have been guilty in the past of overly medicating my fish and I don't want to go down that road if I don't have to. I can't even catch the little sucker to quarantine he is so fast - and I have so many plants and rock in Driftwood. Can this fungus (?) go away on its own with lots of water changes? I don't think I'll be able to catch him because he so small - And I really don't want to put malachite green in my display tank I don't have to. IMG_6206.JPG

I forgot to add my info:
    120g
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5 ish
    Ph 6.6
    120g tank w/ a few juvenile angels, 35 various rams (German, angel ram, electric blue ballon ram)
    2 gold nugget plecos
    2 clown loaches
    2 corycats - I know they do better and larger numbers. Originally I purchase four but 2 died - I get my fish online from live aquaria and sometimes the smaller ones can't take the stress of shipping

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  2. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Do you have QT? If so, I'd advised utilizing that ASAP. Any lfs fungicide works real well. Or...well I had fungus in my 55 (on a couple Julii Corys) and used Seachem's Sulfaplex and it cured the entire tank in just 3 days.

3. OP
    OP
    Sonya

SonyaValued MemberMember

My tank is too heavily planted and I just can't catch him. :(.

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Can you check if it looks like columnaris? It looks like a fungus but is actually bacterial, and needs to be treated with something like kanamycin or macyrn 2. It can move very quickly, and I just can't tell from the picture, sorry, so I'll have to leave the ID up to you. But, no, this should not be left untreated

6. OP
    OP
    Sonya

SonyaValued MemberMember

I'll give it a go - thanks! I had tried Seachem ParaGard, but It didn't help.

I was reading about columnaris - But I really can't tell. I will look into it some more. Thanks

Is there anything about culmnaris that looks different than just a fungal infection? I'm researching but I can't really find anything definitive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  7. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm going to be honest, I don't really know a good definitive method for telling them apart. I think the main way is the speed at which it spreads, but there is also a slowly moving form of columnaris. I'm really sorry I can't help more, I hope your Cory does well

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What are you feeding them?

9. OP
    OP
    Sonya

SonyaValued MemberMember

Thanks - I'm treating with furan 2 whole tank. I've noticed something that looks like fin rot on a couple. I didn't quarantine - because i get all my fish fro the same place. I didn't think about the stress of shipping though - makes them susceptible to the bacteria in most aquariums. Dumb mistake on my part. If it is culomnaris, hopefully the Furan 2 will handle it. Either way, I don't think the Cory is going to make it.

Frozen Blood worms, fish flakes and frozen brine shrimp with spirolina- no live foods.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

not too bad !