Can this be used as driftwood for a BN pleco?

1. T

Talisaint Valued Member Member

Found this wood around my house. Originally used for growing orchids a very long time ago. No idea what kind of wood it is, no idea exactly how old it is. No odor, left out in dry Southern California weather for 10+ years next to some cacti (washing off the spiders gave me a heart attack!), becomes very soft after being exposed to water.

Pictures show it wet since I had to clean it off. Sorry if it seems grainy or it looks like there are white dots. Those are just water reflecting light. There seems to be some dried and hard yellow nonsense coming from it (sap?).

None of the stores near me sell an older BN pleco, so I'll have to buy one that's practically a baby (less than an inch long), so I'm not sure if the Zoo med Mopani driftwood or this random piece will be fine.

What sort of wood should I be looking for for a BN Pleco?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

wow less then an inch? my lfs wont even take those.
    ok, if its really soft i wouldnt bother, as its likely to fall apart in the tank.
    african woods are fine, most plecs are not too picky. mine eats crabapple wood, but they also chew dried bamboo kabob skewers and coconut shells. oak is good too, so are regular apple woods, though be cautious of sprayed trees.

no evergreens EVER, they have mild toxins and also decay faster

fish that young will need additional food sources, so be ready with algae wafers.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Talisaint Valued Member Member

Awesome, thanks!
    I guess I'll try the Zoo Med since it's listed as an African wood. I'll probably have to cut it up a bit to make sure there are tunnels for it to hide in, but I'm afraid I'll lose the little fella and never find it again!

I'm most likely going to have to keep it in a separate 10/20 gallon until it's larger than the gravel and I can find it, though, haha

I have plenty of algae wafers stocked up, luckily. Can young ones eat vegetables such as blanched zucchini or spinach? Can it even completely consume an algae wafer in eight hours if the wafer is... More than twice it's size? xD

4. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

id break it, but yes, spinach is especially popular. you might not need to make tunnels in it as odd shaped pieces of wood can be hiding places in themselves. The only time mine insist on caves is if theyre breeding