can they really do that

FishKing

Valued Member
Reaction score
This statement caught my attenion the second I read about it.But can a fish or any specific fish change its gender

King_Snuggles

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact some frogs can. Don't know about fish but sounds acceptable

SereneReyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
seems likely to me...

"Nature will find a way." - Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Excellent article, Ninja.
The different solutions that can be found in nature are amazing.
Bettas have an organ that allows them to breathe when warm temperatures combine with rotting vegetation to minimize the amount of oxygen in the water.
Some fish have lungs and the ability to "walk" in order to travel across land during the dry season, allowing them to find larger bodies of water.
Dart frogs developed the ability to concentrate fire ant poison in their skin (without harming the frog at all) making them horribly poisonous to nearly everything.
Lizards with detachable tails, teeth turned into plankton strainers, opposable thumbs, prehensile tails, etc... All of these are amazing methods of dealing with a particular environmental threat.

Tavel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
Excellent article, Ninja.
The different solutions that can be found in nature are amazing.
Bettas have an organ that allows them to breathe when warm temperatures combine with rotting vegetation to minimize the amount of oxygen in the water.
Some fish have lungs and the ability to "walk" in order to travel across land during the dry season, allowing them to find larger bodies of water.
Dart frogs developed the ability to concentrate fire ant poison in their skin (without harming the frog at all) making them horribly poisonous to nearly everything.
Lizards with detachable tails, teeth turned into plankton strainers, opposable thumbs, prehensile tails, etc... All of these are amazing methods of dealing with a particular environmental threat.
it's even more amazing when you consider that none of it was "designed"...it just happened by random mutation.

My favorite is still the rotary engine that some bacteria use for propulsion. Coolest contraption in nature, end of discussion.

seedy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Australian Barramundi change to females (if they aren't already) as they get bigger. They are sold in many fish shops here, but they do grow BIG.

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a number of fish that can change gender. The main thing to understand about this, for the majority of fish it is extremely rare for this to occur. There have been scientifically documented cases of the Xiphophorus genus (swordtail, platy, etc) changing from female to male. The documented cases have the fish dropping fry as a female and then becoming fully sexually functional as a male, able to fertilize a female.

Again this is extremely rare. There seemed to be one person talking about it on the site and then several people chime in with it happening for them... I am not saying it hasn't, but the numbers seem a bit steep. Usually what occurs rather than a gender change is that the keeper misidentified the gender early on. Most male livebearers look pretty much the same as a female until they begin developing sexually. It is like with humans. There is a period of time in early development that a male and female look pretty much the same.

I will sum it up by saying, yet again, it is rare in the commonly kept, fishkeeping hobby type fish.

miker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heard about a Molly doing that

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What CWC said is a good point. It's very unlikely that your average aquarium fish will do this. The majority of aquarium fish don't have the trait, (and I don't see livebearers as being likely to possess the trait, since there's a lot of extra mechanics involved. It's usually just fish where mating involves the female dropping eggs and the male dropping sperm).

And Tavel, please don't bring up the "design vs evolution" discussion here. If you want to discuss it, you can start a thread in "Hot Topics" (there's also a huge one buried in the "Is there a god" debate, I believe). Some might disagree with you, others might jump to your defense, and turn this discussion into something it wasn't meant to be.

FL CommunityFans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
What CWC said is a good point. It's very unlikely that your average aquarium fish will do this. The majority of aquarium fish don't have the trait, (and I don't see livebearers as being likely to possess the trait, since there's a lot of extra mechanics involved. It's usually just fish where mating involves the female dropping eggs and the male dropping sperm).

And Tavel, please don't bring up the "design vs evolution" discussion here. If you want to discuss it, you can start a thread in "Hot Topics" (there's also a huge one buried in the "Is there a god" debate, I believe). Some might disagree with you, others might jump to your defense, and turn this discussion into something it wasn't meant to be.
I was thinking the same thing, thanks. No need to derail this with a 'hot topic'.

On point with the topic...I have 4 male platys.. so I thought... Now there are fry

Tavel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
but that bacteria is still the most incredibly awesome thing ever.

EDIT: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=mboc4.figgrp.2879

I guess it's e. coli. I thought it was something a little more exotic...but still cool.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FL CommunityFans said:
On point with the topic...I have 4 male platys.. so I thought... Now there are fry
I do not discount that there is the possibility that platies are capable of changing gender in a situation where there are only members of one gender, but I, like CWC, think it's more likely that a mistake was made in sexing them. Even knowing the difference between male and female, I have problems telling which of my mollies is which, and I think that, when I asked the storekeeper for two females and one male, he might have given me the reverse.

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads