can they escape?

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my tank has the corners cut for piping/wires etc etc. i dont think any of my other fish would try and escape as its above water level (obviously or i'd have a big puddle!!) . however as the bristlenose scales the sides of the tank, is there a chance he could go above water level and fall out? if they dont ever go above water level (even for a second) then thats great. if there's any chance at all or escape then i'll look at putting some sponge in the gap or something?!

thanks
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just never know what plecs are going to do. One of my avorite plecs was found on the carpet early one morning but he was already crispy. My son kept finding his bristlenose in the filter slurping up the goodies in there mine never do that so you just never know. Better be safe than sorry.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks carol! i'll get some bath sponge wedged in the gaps then! will that be ok do you think? any other ideas? card would get wet and soggy when i slosh water about when doing water changes and catching leaves and condensation etc etc! he seems to like sitting on the heater wire, so should he follow it high enough he'll find his escape if the lack of water isnt enough to deter him! - and he is so tiny! - he doesnt go near the filter at the other end of the tank (not yet anyway), he darent leave his cucumber unattended long enough to go and find the filter!! - which leads me to another question....they cant over-eat cucumber can they? i'm always aware of not overfeeding the other fish with flakes - they are rationed(!) to 2-3 mins worth of food twice a day, but the cucumber is there all day for him to graze on, and the other fish all seem to be enjoying it too (guppies and danios)! there's a slice the others go at and another slice the plec hogs - i hope it wont do the others any harm? i didnt think the others would eat cucumber!! i spotted a danio having a go at his algae wafer yesterday too! they'll eat anything!!- i'm rambling once again!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the plec will overeat. I wouldn't leave the cucumber in over 24 hrs or it might pollute the tank. Yes the other fish seem to enjoy just about whatever hits the tank.
Carol

jj

Reaction score
clear contact over the whole works ok. You can place two pieces together so no sticky stuff gets wet and just leave enough around edges to stick to outside of tank.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah, i've just spent about half an hour taping up the gaps! so there's no access for mr.bristlenose to get to the outside world. however the top of my tank has like a shelf with sliding glass doors, and he could get to that bit if he tried really hard, so still undecided with that bit as thats always wet. Mmmmm. ??? if he got to that bit, i'd hope he'd soon fall back into the tank.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
carol....i realised yesterday how much cucumber deteriorates in the tank! lovely mushy mess!!!!!! in fact, thats what's probably sent my ammonia and nitries up! he'll be rationed now to one piece for a few hours! the pet shop had loads of bits in where they'd chewed through it forming tunnels! (more fish i guess chewing at it!) how come they dont have the ammonia probs? plus they have loads of fish in a small tank!! he doesnt eat very much, but i guess as he's small thats why! i put in an algae wafer and he didnt entertain the idea at all! are they usually quite reserved with their eating? i'm used to my danios and guppies which are always scavenging for food and go loopy at feeding time as if they've never seen food before!!! my bn, loach and tetras i havent seen eat yet! the tank is new, so there's no natural algae in there for him either.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish store is ptobably on a central system which means they most likely have hundreds of gallons of water circulating through their tanks.
With an enclosed tank the ammonia etc accumulates more rapidly. I leave my zucchini in over night but I have several piggy bristlenose in each tank.Try dropping the piece in at lights out and then check in a couple of hours or the next morning.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
so you can keep more than one bristlenose in the tank?! that sounds good (when i've sorted out my ammonia problem!). is that just good luck that they dont fight or are all bristlenoses peaceful with with each other? i havent found any info on keeping more than one! my other fish are all schooling fish, so are in groups, but as BN's dont school i was at a loss as to whether they'd still like a friend or not!! ??? :-\

will try the hour or so on a night option. darent leave in overnight just yet until i have my ammonia back under control!! (dont know how much dif it would make, but cant risk it just now!!)

thanks for your help carol
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The size of your tank makes alot of difference in how many bristlenose you can have. They will scuffle a little for possesion of certain caves and hiding places but thats about all. You could put two in the 170L and have a good cleaning crew,just remember they get from 5 to 6 inches so you don't overstock. They too are big waste producers.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
very tempting! my bn at the mo only lives in half the tank anyway.....not cos its partitioned or anything, he just doesnt stray far from the right hand side of the tank. he tends to spend his time either hiding behind the heater (really hope he realises when he grows that it isnt a good idea and he doesnt get stuck and cooked) or on his log. so there's half a tank spare which he doesnt use!!! knowing my luck they'd both want the same half!!!!!!!!!!! lol!! another log in the other half may do the trick?! once ammonia sorted, might move some guppies across to small tank and put another bn in the big tank!!! decisions decisions!!! my hubby was offered a couple of tanks today.........very tempted!!! the curse of mts..........!! not sure where i'd put them mind and i'm spending over an hour a day as it is with two 50% water changes for both tanks! 2 more tanks would be nearly a job in itself!! ...so, if i go for 2 bn's in there, does it matter if i have 2 girls, 2 boys or 1 of each? (do they get aggressive when breeding? is it likely/unlikely they'd breed anyway?) also how old are they when you can distinguish what sex they are as i dont even know what mine is yet. do i have to wait til he's fully grown to find out? is it just the bristles that give it away as to what they are? my bns nose is completely smooth still. he's about an inch long so still a baby! - sorry about refering to him as a he. i dont mean to confuse, it's just we all (including the kids) call him "mr.bristlenose" and the name and gender have kinda stuck!! - if he turns out to be girl it will be very odd to change our ways as we all used to refering to him as he!!!! same with the loach...he's called "mr.loach" and then there's "mr.rainbow fish". the big fish are instantly named mr...... i have no idea how that came about?!!!!

thanks for your help carol. sorry about all the questions. he's my favourite fish though and the most curious as he hides so much!!
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Questions are no problem. I love talking about fish. Usually at about 2 to 2-1/2 inches you can tell gender. Males will have bristles all over their face.Some females will have them around the lip area and some won't have them at all. Two in that size tank shouldn't be a problem at all and if you should get a pair then they may breed. They aren't aggressive that I've seen just some mild chases when one of the other comes near the "chosen" cave or hidey hole . it really doesn't matter if you have one of each or two of each. I've got three different kinds of Bristlenose and they just amaze me how well they get along but they do have multiple caves, plants and rocks to hide and breed in. I think thats the key right there.
I really don't think they care what the kids call "him' just as long as the food and water changes keep coming
If I didn't answer all your questions then give me a nudge
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Carol, you're a star! thanks lots! i really do appreciate it. ;D mr bristlenose is doing well and i'm def gonna get him a friend (once the ammonia is sorted ....still having probs with that, but thats another story!). i'll get some more caves etc when i get the new bristlenose. in fact, i dont even have a cave in the big tank, just one in small tank which none of the fish in there even use!! (gratitude for you! lol!) i've seen the loach go in it once and he turned round and came straight back out! so that cave might get more use in the big tank! there's plants and the log which bn goes under and behind etc. one prob he does seem to have is slight constipation (he has the long string attached to him, but he's still very active, so it doesnt seem to be bothering him). am i missing anything in his diet? he has half an algae wafer every other day and cucumber for a few hours on a night and his log to rasp at. im afraid as an algae cleaner he is rather redundant still at that, as there isnt any yet!! i'm sure in summer there'll be plenty as the tank is in a south facing room and gets alot of sun and the hours of daylight will be much longer too. i did try giving him squished peas the other day, but the greedy danios and some of the others got to them first!!! i dont think bn got any at all! my fish are so fast and greedy!! ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He sounds fine, Their digestive track is so short that food tends to go straight through(thus the string )
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks. thats good to know. he seems happy enough which is always a good sign!!!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tan, I just found this thread today, and wanted to tell you of my experience with a Gold Nugget Pleco, you are talking about them escaping, well I didn't realize they get really active at night, they jump and splash about. There was a very narrow gap in my tank where the filter & heater are. One day shortly after I got him home I noticed him missing. After several hours I went into the kitchen to empty the dishwasher, the door was open (I had already looked all about), but when I took out the basket of silverware, there he was, stuck in with the forks, dry and crispy. I was totally shocked, and dismayed, as he was one of my favorites. Learned my lesson though and my tank is completely covered now!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
susitna-flower - OMG, that must have been a shock!! that must've been quite a leap for him! well i dont think mine can get out. so far so good. the bigger he gets the more unlikely it is. while hes small he could go anywhere!! measured him the other day and he was 3cm. he's not growing very fast, which is fine as he's cute!!!! tan

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It really wasn't such a huge leap. You see my 55 gal tank is IN the wall between the livingroom and kitchen. When I am in the kitchen facing the outer wall my sink is directly in front of me, the dishwasher to my left beside the sink, and the fish tank just to the left of that in the wall. Like I said the dishwasher door was open when he took the leap, and it was all over, he was upside down in the forks! It was such a shame, because he was healthy and really about the neatest fish I have ever had. I tried since to get another one, and the LFS has a hard time getting healthy ones in. They have had several that they quarantine for a week before they will sell them and they always die! It is something about them getting too cold during shipment.

I stopped in to the LFS today, and WHAT A SHAME!!! > You would never believe what happened to them! They usually get their fish in FEDEX on Wednesdays. Well when I walked in there were bags of fish setting in the tanks, I asked the lady in charge what was up, she said the whole shipment for the week was messed up, and set in a warehouse in Seattle for 4 days! What was packed Monday and should have been here Wed., took until today.. :'( Lots of death. Very few made it through alive. I was going to pick up a couple more otos, and she was quite up front with me and suggested I wait to see what would make it.

It is SO nice to have a good reputable fish store to go to!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OMG! i bet the courier is big trouble and paying for it!! how can they not notice a shipment of live fish sitting in the warehouse?! poor things. surprising any survived at all. the heat packs dont last long do they. you are lucky having a good lfs. they're hard to find!! most are all about profit, and/or are chain stores that just dont know anything about animals of any kind! good luck with your oto hunt! if any survive that long trip via seattle, then you know they are certainly fairly tough and indestructible! survival of the fittest and all that!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
  Tan, I felt so sorry for the fish lady,  she was very distraught.  Usually they close on Wednesdays the day their fish come in, but as it drug out so long, they had people in the room, and she just couldn't help but let us know how upset she was.    This woman has a private business besides working as the head of this fish department, of maintaining many large tanks in the Wasilla area.  I do business with an insurance company that has a 200 gal tank that she does, so you know she loves fish and this hurt!   I was only using the otos as an excuse to go into the store.   I really wanted to look at that 125 gal tank again, I was wrong about the price, it was $523.00 for the tank!  BUT it also had a stand under it and they wouldn't sell them separately, it was $850. for both together!   That didn't include ANYTHING else!    This is why I want to build my own. 

Fish in the Frozen North.   -5F this morning.
The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race starts today.   Check it out at https://www.KTUU.com our "local" news.  They will have video clips and such as the week goes on.   

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom