Can They Change Gender

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my platy, Salsa, for about a year now and when I first got it I was 99% sure it was female. It was even from an all female tank. I put her in my tank that had some female guppies and one male. A few months pass and I take a closer look at salsa and it was male. I got her/him at full size so it wasn’t still developing. Is this possible or did both me and the guy at the store make a mistake?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it was a mistake somewhere.

At a fish store, a female Platy with clamped fins may look like a male.

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
I think it was a mistake somewhere.

At a fish store, a female Platy with clamped fins may look like a male.
It’s male now like 100% for sure. When I got it they said it was female

Ginni

Reaction score
Lol yea i don't think the person at pet store really didn't know what they where talking about and most likely assumed it was female since it was obviously put in the wrong tank haha

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ginni said:
Lol yea i don't think the person at pet store really didn't know what they where talking about and most likely assumed it was female since it was obviously put in the wrong tank haha
At my LFS, I asked one of the workers for the female red wag Platy in the tank(there was a male and a female).

She netted the male and said, “Is it this one?”

And I said it wasn’t. Then, I came home with a female red wag Platy.

WadeEH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@emeraldking had a good post on this a week or two ago. I can't figure out how to post the link on my phone, but it is in the thread below named "I Need One Platy Fry Asap!".

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a nearly three inch swordtail that came to me as a female, i have had the group for a month and it just now started the process of switching to a late blooming male - all fish look like females until the hormones kick in to change the outside structure (if you can visibly see into the fish like with red eye koi swords you will be able to discern the ovaries and possible babies inside the fish, on males there is nothing like that but it can still be hard to tell). The male swordtail i now have is likely 8 months old or better.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom