Can These Shrimp All Live Peacefully?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Sakana魚, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

My plan is to keep Red Crystal shrimp(S grade, dunno if that matters), Blue velevets(or some other solid colored shrimp haven't decided yet), and amanos.

Can they all peacefully be kept together? Will the blue velvets breed with the red crystals? Will they be able to breed if the other types of shrimp are around(like will the amanos eat the babies for example)?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Techinically you can keep them together, however from a breeders view you shouldn't. The velvets and the crystals are related and their is a possibility of hybridization. I personally like to keep the the gene pools clean, but if you are okay with this, they are fine to keep together.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

The blue and red crystal are the same species, so they will likely cross breed and you'll get a fair amount of non colored (brown) cherry shrimp. They will get along just fine though.

The amanos are fine, they won't harm the other shrimp. I keep a pair of amanos with cherries and all they do is steal their food from time to time.

4. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

I am not a breeder but don't want to end up with brown shrimp. I heard that certain types of shrimp wont breed together but I am not sure which ones are which.

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

this might help  

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Crystals do not interbreed with blue velvets.

Red crystals = Caridina cantonensis
    Blue velvets = Neocaridina davidi

They are different genuses and it is physically impossible for them to interbreed.

Amanos don't eat babies, especially if they're kept well fed.

The only problem with keeping caridinas is their water parameter preference. Caridinas need an acidic ph, achieved by using a buffered soil substrate, a kh of 1-2, gh around 4-6, and temperatures in the low 70s. These are hard to achieve with regular tap water, so most breeders use remineralized RO.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Sakana魚

I actually have the crystal reds already... I was supposed to be getting blue velvets but the crystals were so pretty... What temp should they be at? The first two days I had them it was at 80° but I have lowered it to 75°. I also have fluval Stratum. Will I not be able to keep them? I don't want get them just to kill them.

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

70-75 is pretty ideal, I think. Some facilities actually use tank chillers, which pretty much shows how much they need cooler water. Fluval stratum is a buffered substrate, so you should be good for a couple years :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice