Can these fish thrive in a 120?

izzysaurusrexx

I'm moving soon and the place is going to be bigger so I plan on getting a 120 gallon tank. At first I wanted to stock it with an Oscar, 2 Black Convicts, and an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. But after looking at some marine fish online I just might instead get marine fish! Some fish I am really interested in are dwarf lionfish, fuzzy dwarf lionfish, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, couple sea horses, yellow or blue tang, White Tail Bristletooth Tang, flame hawkfish, snowflake eel, and yellowtail damselfish.
Which of these fish can coexist in a 120?
The fish I absolutely want (if I decide to set up a marine tank) are 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish, 1 regular dwarf lionfish, 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 flame hawkfish, and 1 yellowtail damselfish, and a blue or yellow tang. If all of these ones I absolutely want CAN live together but they just need a bigger tank then how much bigger? any help is appreciated!!!

Edit:
I've been researching marine tanks now for a few hours not just fish and .. wow. everything seems to be so complicated and expensive!! I think right now I'll stick with my previous freshwater plan. I'll start saving up and in years from now when my freshwater die of old age I'll convert the tank into saltwater for marine fish. Thanks to all who replied!

AshWolFF

Hold your horses there.

Have you done research about the requirements of the tank then the list of fish. Marine tanks are EXPENSIVE. You'll need a large skimmer, tons of circulation, decide if its FOWLR or FO. A ton of other things.

Lionfish are poisonous, not recommended for beginners. They will eat the clownfish, cannot live with each other, the damsel, and generally anything under the 6" rule.

Yellow/Blue Tangs need larger aquariums from what I've heard, I think they deserve at least 150 gallons.

izzysaurusrexx

Hold your horses there.

Have you done research about the requirements of the tank then the list of fish. Marine tanks are EXPENSIVE. You'll need a large skimmer, tons of circulation, decide if its FOWLR or FO. A ton of other things.

Lionfish are poisonous, not recommended for beginners. They will eat the clownfish, cannot live with each other, the damsel, and generally anything under the 6" rule.

Yellow/Blue Tangs need larger aquariums from what I've heard, I think they deserve at least 150 gallons.

Honestly before today I've never even considered a marine tank. I just looked up marine fish and went from there. When I have time I'll research the requirements!

I researched the dwarf lionfish and there have been accounts that have successfully kept dwarf lions with clownfish. I know that a regular voliton will eat small fish because it grows over a foot! But dwarf lions are expected to grow no bigger than 7". From what I've read to keep clownfish and dwarf lions together fairly sized clowns must be introduced first and then a smallish dwarf lion should be introduced.

That sucks about blue tangs needing 150! I really want one! I might try and convince parents to let me get a bigger tank so I may have a blue tang. Along with 2 dwarf lions, and 2 clowns.

Corine

I'm not an expert, but from the research I have done, most people reccomend that seahorses be in species only tanks. They are very slow and peaceful, and don't compete well for food.

izzysaurusrexx

seahorses be in species only tanks. They are very slow and peaceful, and don't compete well for food.

That's alright. I wasn't really that into sea horses.

henningc

I would advise leaving the Oscar at the fish store. You may want to alost consider some fish that live in the top to mid-water area.

Yeoy

Marine/saltwater is a HUGE step up from freshwater. There is mountains of research, it's very expensive to set up and run and the maintenance is massive. I'd suggest perfecting freshwater parameters for a while with a few different tanks/biotopes before trying to get into SW. It's definitely not something to rush or you'll just waste money and fish.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore
Lemme just set the record straight on a few things

I've been researching marine tanks now for a few hours not just fish and .. wow. everything seems to be so complicated and expensive!! I think right now I'll stick with my previous freshwater plan.
Glad you did some research first - Saltwater is not complicated, once you understand it. I researched for a solid 9 months before I felt comfortable that I understood what to expect. Expensive yeah, I guess it can be, remembering that expensive is a relative term. Depending on the setup you're going for. But unless you're going for hi-tech SPS reefs, it doesn't have to be 'over-the-top' expensive.
Make sure you keep us informed and updated of the 120G Freshwater

Yellows and Blues are ok in 75G as a minimum IMO. But yes, the bigger the better for Tangs - they like to swim.

There is mountains of research, it's very expensive to set up and run and the maintenance is massive. I'd suggest perfecting freshwater parameters for a while with a few different tanks/biotopes before trying to get into SW. It's definitely not something to rush or you'll just waste money and fish.
Research, yep, you never stop researching, learning. Whether it's Freshwater or Saltwater
Maintenance - Saltwater is easier than Freshwater -
SW = check salinity, clean skimmer cup, do 10% water change. Algae magnet cleaner over the viewing panels. Job done Took me 20 minutes tonight on a 66G tank.
FW = Clean viewing panel, gravel vac and drain 25% water, trim plants, top up water, dose fertilisers.... Took about 30 minutes for a 20G tank. Not to mention once every few months, clean the filter

There is no need to be scared of Saltwater - I honestly think they're much easier than FW, especially with the equipment around today.

For further reading: https://www.fishlore.com/saltwater-aquarium-tank-guide.htm

Similar Aquarium Threads

55 Gallon Tank Is This Stock Ok
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
BettaBeetlesandBugs