Can these fish stay in freshwater while they are still young and small? Question 

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, I recently bought Archer Fish, Mono Argentis, and Green Scats. The manager said that the Archer fish are more hardy and can tolerate freshwater but they still like brackish water better. Mono Argentis fish can still stay in freshwater when they are young but they need salt or brackish since they move out into the oceans in the wild. I don't know of Green Scats are supposed to be permanently in brackish when they are young and then move out into the oceans or into a salt water tank.

Is that true??

I heard that all types of fish can adapt to their surroundings, but I doubt salt water fish can be adapting in with freshwater since that's probably too much of a jump. So is what the manager I spoke to said the truth?

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Usually brackish fish can survive in freshwater, especially as youth but their lifespan will dramatically shorten if kept in freshwater forever. All three I believe will strive in brackish, and shouldn't need full marine even as they age. My suggestion would be adding a little bit of aquarium during each water change and slowly acclimate them into brackish. Hope this helps.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sam Livingston said:
Usually brackish fish can survive in freshwater, especially as youth but their lifespan will dramatically shorten if kept in freshwater forever. All three I believe will strive in brackish, and shouldn't need full marine even as they age. My suggestion would be adding a little bit of aquarium during each water change and slowly acclimate them into brackish. Hope this helps.
Alright, because the fish are currently in with freshwater fish at the moment. I doubt tetras can survive with lots of salt in the water. I had aquarium salt before that I would always put in but then I put too much and the water became slightly salty :S strangely my amazon swords and angels survived a long time ago xD Is aquarium salt the same as the salt people use for brackish water?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No. Brackish water is made using marine salt mix.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
harpua2002 said:
No. Brackish water is made using marine salt mix.
Oh okay, and that means that freshwater fish can't withstand not even a little bit of that salt? or they would die? Would plecos stay in brackish water?

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neji said:
Oh okay, and that means that freshwater fish can't withstand not even a little bit of that salt? or they would die? Would plecos stay in brackish water?
They would most likely die, and pretty fast

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ColumbianShark3 said:
They would most likely die, and pretty fast
I see, I see. Do you think I can convert my tank into a brackish tank and take out my freshwater fish then? I don't know about my plants... if I take them out now, I might start a bacterial bloom and I hate that stuff

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can always convert it to brackish just as soon as you remove you're freshwater fish

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ColumbianShark3 said:
You can always convert it to brackish just as soon as you remove you're freshwater fish
Lol thanks for telling me that but I like my freshwater fish too. I do you think I can buy a 10 gallon tank and set it up as brackish? Or even a 5 gallon tank and put one or 2 Scats in?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads