Can these fish be tank mates? (thanks in advance)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Thefishbowl2306, Jul 1, 2016.

1. T

Thefishbowl2306 Valued Member Member

So for those of you who do not know live fish direct is having a free shipping july 4th sale! And ive really wanted to try out some cichilds. Right now i have a 55 gal with an angel, parrot cichild, 2 plecos, and 3 gouramis (dwarf) i was thinking about adding:

1 peacock cichlid (OB) hybrid - preferablly male
    At 1.5-2 inches.
    Mt other fish have all been in the tank for over 3 months and are all fairly large at 3-5 inches.

Do you think this could work? Ive read that peacocks arent really agressive.
    My tank is long and has plenty of caves and giding spaces

Thanks!!

2. Jren

Jren Valued Member Member

your dwarves arent aggressive to each other?

3. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I would advise not.

I was given one by a friend and all it did after becoming settled was go after everything else in the tank. Once it realised it could bully it's way around it did it constantly and it's no fun watching your tank when that happens.

If you are going to try it make sure you have a rehoming plan. Luckily, I could just give it back.

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello the...

Peacock cichlids aren't aggressive, so they need to be in a tank with other peaceful fish. Multiple rock formations are ideal for these fish. They do best in basic, hard water with a pH in excess of 8. If you have this type of tap water, then the fish should do well. If not, I wouldn't recommend attempting to change the chemistry of your tap water. This is difficult to maintain long term and your fish won't like it.

Old

5. OP
    OP
    T

Thefishbowl2306 Valued Member Member

The gouramis do chase each othee from time to time, but after about a week they settled down so much. And all the fish seem very happy and healthy. As for the peacock i do have a place to rehome as a back up plan, as my lfs does buy/ trade ins. Ive found that fish keeping is a huge trial an error with combatibitly and it really just depends on that fishes specific behavior....espically with hybrids

Feel free to comment / correct me i want to make the best decision for my tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice