Can these Cichlids and Plants co-exist?

1. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

I currently have an empty but cycled and running 30 gallon aquarium that has been set up for about 3+ years now with a Fluval 206 Filter, Heater, and White Fine Sand.

I was planning on using this tank as a water tank for my 50 gallon (main tank) because my tap has a bit of ammonia in it. The plan is to heavily stock a portion of the tank with easy plants to get rid of the ammonia and use the water for the 50g.

But now I would like to stock the tank as well so I was wondering if I could add some Fairy Cichlids (Brichardi Cichlids)
    They can get slightly big so I can transfer them to the 50g if needed but my question is, Will they mess up the plants alot, to the point where I should do something about it?

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Unless you are using the tank as a sump, you will end up adding nitrate to your main tank. If the filter you have on your 50 gallon is not taking care of the ammonia, I would add another filter with nothing but bio media in it to help with the ammonia.

I think the Brichardi would be fine in a planted 30 as long as they are the only fish in the tank.

But unless you are plumbing it for a sump on your 50, it's not going to work as you are wanting it too. You maybe able to reduce the amount of ammonia from your tap with the plants. But then the ammonia eventually will be turned to nitrate. You maybe getting water with no ammonia for your 50, but it will have nitrates in it. And the only way to reduce the nitrate is a water change.... Back to the ammonia. So you will kind of have yourself stuck in a circle.

I would just add a canister filter to your 50 and fill it with bio media. And then set up the 30 as planned. More tanks and more fish is always better ;)

3. OP
    OP
    A

Hmm well I dont have space to add another canister filter in my 50g tank as it already has a fluval 306 under it. And yes the Brichardis will be in the 30 gallon only in a species only setup.

And what do you mean by bio media exactly? Can I just adjust the contents of my current Canister Filter?

4. Marie1

5. OP
    OP
    A

Ahh, okay. But I can just add that to my current filters can't I?

6. Marie1

Yes.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I added a bit more BioMax into both of my canister filters today to help out with the ammonia.
    Hopefully that and more live plants like Hornwort will help out.