Can these cheap led lights keep coral alive?!

  • Thread starter

ryandrapr

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Hi! I'm brand new to this site haha. Made an account just to ask this question. I have a 10 gallon nano saltwater tank with one clown and damselfish. I'm planning on getting another clown as soon as possible. I really want to buy an anemone for the clowns to host, but I'm not sure i can use the type of lighting i have currently. Its a very strong and bright led light strip that i glued to the top of my DIY hood. Its about 16ft of lighting (yeah i know its alot). I would love an answer if i could use the lights right now instead of buying a fancy coral light that basically is the same. Thank you!

Edit: And heres some photos so you can get an idea of what the setup of the lights looks like.
 

Attachments

ForceTen

Valued Member
Messages
320
Reaction score
155
Points
78
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have salt water, but the light in your picture looks like a Fluval with 5 or more light colors and settings.
What brand of light and what type would really help. You know, like model number name like SEA or Marine style?
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Messages
3,494
Reaction score
2,546
Points
423
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore! I wouldn't get another clown. You are fully stocked. The only fish that you COULD add would be a neon goby. I'm no saltwater expert but I do know the basics. I can't help you with your question though, sorry.
 
  • Thread starter

ryandrapr

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Welcome to fishlore! I wouldn't get another clown. You are fully stocked. The only fish that you COULD add would be a neon goby. I'm no saltwater expert but I do know the basics. I can't help you with your question though, sorry.
Hi AmazontankIvr, I own many tanks and know how to stalk. I can see your concern with me adding another clown. It all depends on if you have enough room, and the beneficial bacteria for the tank to withstand fish waste and nitrites, and good filtration. So if i added another clown, it would barely effect anything the tank. But thank you for the opinion!
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Messages
3,494
Reaction score
2,546
Points
423
Experience
5 to 10 years
ryandrapr said:
Hi AmazontankIvr, I own many tanks and know how to stalk. I can see your concern with me adding another clown. It all depends on if you have enough room, and the beneficial bacteria for the tank to withstand fish waste and nitrites, and good filtration. So if i added another clown, it would barely effect anything the tank. But thank you for the opinion!
Ok, This is a forum so almost everything is a opinion. Good luck.
 
  • Thread starter

ryandrapr

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Points
3
ForceTen said:
I don't have salt water, but the light in your picture looks like a Fluval with 5 or more light colors and settings.
What brand of light and what type would really help. You know, like model number name like SEA or Marine style?
I don't think its a fluval, the brand that sold the light to me was called
“TBI PRO”. It was like 30$
 

chasewied

Valued Member
Messages
116
Reaction score
81
Points
38
Experience
5 years

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
1,431
Points
173
I don’t think your light is strong enough for an anemone from the looks of it. It’s hard to tell with zero details on the light but from the picture it seems dim. Remember anemones do need light for photosynthesis so not only is brightness/par important but so is the spectrum.

I too will echo the second clownfish will make your tank over stocked. I know you don’t think so but it will. Not sure what you have for filtration. Looks to be a tidal 35 and very limited amount of live rock. Also keep in mind saltwater tanks have a much lower dissolved oxygen rate than freshwater tanks do. So it’s not just keeping the nasties low. Also keep in mind your nitrates will need to stay very low for an anemone. Also remember there’s really not much benefit to adding the anemone so it’s more for you than the clowns.

What type of anemone do you want? Some will pair up and some won’t.
 
  • Thread starter

ryandrapr

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Points
3
saltwater60 said:
I don’t think your light is strong enough for an anemone from the looks of it. It’s hard to tell with zero details on the light but from the picture it seems dim. Remember anemones do need light for photosynthesis so not only is brightness/par important but so is the spectrum.

I too will echo the second clownfish will make your tank over stocked. I know you don’t think so but it will. Not sure what you have for filtration. Looks to be a tidal 35 and very limited amount of live rock. Also keep in mind saltwater tanks have a much lower dissolved oxygen rate than freshwater tanks do. So it’s not just keeping the nasties low. Also keep in mind your nitrates will need to stay very low for an anemone. Also remember there’s really not much benefit to adding the anemone so it’s more for you than the clowns.

What type of anemone do you want? Some will pair up and some won’t.
 
  • Thread starter

ryandrapr

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Points
3
saltwater60 said:
I don’t think your light is strong enough for an anemone from the looks of it. It’s hard to tell with zero details on the light but from the picture it seems dim. Remember anemones do need light for photosynthesis so not only is brightness/par important but so is the spectrum.

I too will echo the second clownfish will make your tank over stocked. I know you don’t think so but it will. Not sure what you have for filtration. Looks to be a tidal 35 and very limited amount of live rock. Also keep in mind saltwater tanks have a much lower dissolved oxygen rate than freshwater tanks do. So it’s not just keeping the nasties low. Also keep in mind your nitrates will need to stay very low for an anemone. Also remember there’s really not much benefit to adding the anemone so it’s more for you than the clowns.

What type of anemone do you want? Some will pair up and some won’t.
I was planning on getting a bubbletip anemone, but by the looks of it, I probably won't. My tap water I use has like 5ppm - 10ppm of nitrates which would not be the best idea for anemones. Probably better stick to fish only for this tank.
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
1,431
Points
173
ryandrapr said:
I was planning on getting a bubbletip anemone, but by the looks of it, I probably won't. My tap water I use has like 5ppm - 10ppm of nitrates which would not be the best idea for anemones. Probably better stick to fish only for this tank.
Agreed and that’s good sense on your part.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom