Can these be used for bio filters?

rezis

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For a DIY filter, I'm planning to use a bunch of 1 inch cut up straws.

I also found a hand full of these for screws. Will these be ok also? The ones I have are red color as well.

1.png

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would just go with the cut up straws. My rule of thumb is if it isn't safe for drinking water it isn't the best thing to put in the tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

Personally I don't know that I would use either of the items in the photos. I know I wouldn't use the screws. You're going to have much better success collecting beneficial bacteria with media that is porous, sponges, bio balls, ceramic bio cubes. Things designed just for collecting/housing good bacteria.

Ken

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are looking for something with a large surface area so household objects can be used but those red things won't be great. A coarse sponge would do a better job. They may be OK as mechanical filtration along the same lines as ceramic noodles which are supposed to work by giving the water a convoluted path so large particles get trapped but the noodles also function as a biological filter by having a large surface area.

HitchHiker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have used perlite. The only problem that I have had was in washing out the dust, because it likes to float a lot. Otherwise it is cheap and works really well.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you have room, pick up some Terra-Cotta pots, broken or whole, they are very porous and good for colonizing bacteria.

rezis

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I went around some stuff looking and closest thing I found to a sponge was something used as padding that comes under new pc motherboards in the box.

looks something like this:

would this work?

Its got a spongey/foamy feeling with lots and lots of pores

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks fine. You should wash it like crazy but foam is just foam.

djdover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wouldn't surprise me if there was a trace of metal in the that foam. But who knows. I wouldn't risk it.

rezis

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the help/tips and suggestions, I love this community.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads