Can the betta stay

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bigzsbettas, Jun 28, 2016.

1. BigzsbettasNew MemberMember

I own 1 betta and it is in an 1 gallon filtered and heated and very well kept tank. Can it stay or should I get a new tank? I just haven't had the spare money to upgrade.

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum :)

Is the tank cycled? I think it will be ok for now but hopefully you can upgrade to something bigger soon. A 5g would do. A 10g would be even better.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Even a 2.5 gal would work!

4. Subha92Valued MemberMember

In the field of aquarium, there is a thum rule, "The bigger is better". But still it is assumed that the 5 Gallon tank should be the minimum requirement to keep a Betta. So it is an advise to upgrade as early as possible.
    Till then keep your Betta in 1 Gallon & make sure your filter don't create so much turbulence to make the Betta uncomfortable. Be careful about the heater also. Always keep eyes on the thermometer, cause a heater without a precise thermostat may boil your betta.

5. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

A 1 gallon makes a great quarantine tank but long-term I would try for something bigger. It doesn't have to be a"real" aquarium, you can use a clear plastic storage bin if you like!

6. OP
    OP
    B

BigzsbettasNew MemberMember

The betta has been in there for a year it is in great health and the filtration<br>is under gravel and not disturbing and the temperature is good I checked. And the tank was cycled I waited a week to cycle it with safestart bacteria. But you guys are right I am upgrading to a 5 gallon next week!

7. TexasDomer

Adding Safe Start bacteria and waiting a week doesn't mean your tank is cycled. Without an ammonia source, those bacteria died.

Can you list your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

8. OP
    OP
    B

I put food in with the bacteria. Trust me it is cycled remember my betta has been healthy in there for a year. And I added bacteria with every water change and when I put the fish in. So it is cycled.Sorry I don't have a freshwater test kit so I can't give you the parameters but I'm not worried because it has been healthy in there for the past year. But I'm getting the API freshwater master test kit for sure with the two new tanks I'm buying.I'm reusing a 2.5 gallon for the better health of my betta and a 55 gallon tank to start raising angelfish. But I will cycle both tanks for a month with safestart and pure ammonia. I'm new to the hobby but I've spent hours researching fish care for the past week. When I bought the betta tank I just wanted to save the dying betta at Wal-Mart. For my two new tanks I will buy my fish at my local fish store not the big chain stores.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. TexasDomer

No need to add bacteria every water change if your tank is cycled! Save some money :)

10. OP
    OP
    B

Ok thanks guys big help! :;thx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice