Can table salt be used in place of aquarium salt?

1. p

pyth New Member Member

Topic title pretty well sums up the question. In essence everything I'm reading about my fish suggest a little bit of salt in their water would be good for them. A teaspoon of salt per gallon is what I'm hearing.

I keep swordtails, guppys and a dragon goby.

So yeah, is it okay to sub in table salt?

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

NO. Table salt has iodine in it. I've used canning salt as it's fish safe.
    Why are you adding salt?

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

not sure about the goby (they are creepy to me LOL) but no salt is needed for the others..

4. OP
    OP
    p

pyth New Member Member

Adding salt as I've been told that all of the fish I keep do well in slightly brackish water. If table salt isn't safe, then I'll just pick some actual aquarium salts up tmrw at the LFS.

And yeah, the goby is def a different looking fellow. I think that's what his appeal to me was. I needed something to hoover the bottom of the tank, and it was a toss up between him or a pleco, and luckily he was compatible with my tank, so I opted for the unusual choice :)

5. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Swordtails and guppies do not need salt. Not sure about gobies.

6. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Or use noniodized salt found in most stores.

7. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Guppies and swordtils are not brackish fish they do not need salt. Also brakish water is made with marine salt, not aquarium salt.

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

9. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I used to use aquarium salt with all my tanks. With some of the advise from this site, I stopped . The only reason I would use any salt of any kind is if I had brackish fish, and I don't.

10. OP
    OP
    p

pyth New Member Member

Dragon gobies are suitable for any peaceful brackish community. Potential tank mates include mollies, guppies, swordtails, platies, bumblebee gobies, glassfish, knight gobies, orange chromides, Celebes rainbowfish, and targetfish.

Or so says the care sheet for them. But it also says they're a brackish fish, but then everyone says guppys and swordtails, which are what I have in with my goby are not brackish fish.

I must admit I'm a bit confused here. Can I add some marine salt to the tank and make it brackish, or is that going to be bad for my swordtails and guppys?

11. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Interesting topic, and here's an interesting read, published by Dr Ted Coletti

The Great Molly Salt Debate

Now I'm not proposing one way or the other - it's up to the reader to decide ;)