Can super red bristlenose pleco have red eyes?

Vegetarianpanda

I just got a male super red at least that's what I payed for but he has red eyes.... he's very orange in color and red edge on his pec fins...

BigManAquatics

Maybe some albino in there? They have red eyes.

Demeter

Try attaching a few photos of the fish. Pretty sure only albinos will have red eyes and they are yellow bodied.

Vegetarianpanda

Maybe some albino in there? They have red eyes.
Maybe... just wondering if he's super red mix or a dark albino...
But then he has this redish to his pecs...
The last photo is the one they sent before I received him...

Attachments

• 16421259415615667433066549243665.jpg
    16421259415615667433066549243665.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220113_143749.jpg
    20220113_143749.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220113_143414.jpg
    20220113_143414.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 14
  • $_1.jpeg-14.jpg
    $_1.jpeg-14.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 14

BigManAquatics

Looks pretty albino to me

Demeter

The red on the pectorals is pretty common in all color phases. Not entirely sure why it is there but I would guess it is from minor damage. I would expect it to fade as it usually does on my own BN plecos. I see is most often and fish that had been spawning, they probably rubbed it on the breeding caves.

As for the color... you may have been cheated. Fish, when shipped, will fade in color due to the stress but after a day or two their normal coloration returns. Maybe wait another day and see if he colors up but just comparing the bristles in the photos it does not look like the same fish.

If you can see spotting on the body then it is for sure an albino, keep in mind that some lines of albinos are heavily pigmented and may not show the spotting very well. Super reds do not have the spotting that albinos and browns have. And there really are not "mixed" colors of BN plecos. I've done some experimenting and anything other than a calico (which is basically a "dirty" super red) crossed to a super red will result in brown fry.

Vegetarianpanda

Doesn't have spotting... because it has broken fin they said i could return it and they would replace it.... they delivered it but couldn't see it well in the bag when got it as it was cold outside so bag was fogged up...

Demeter

Then maybe it is worth waiting another day or two and see if he does color up. Either way he looks healthy enough, fins heal pretty easily. It's your choice to do with him what you please.

Vegetarianpanda

Then maybe it is worth waiting another day or two and see if he does color up. Either way he looks healthy enough, fins heal pretty easily. It's your choice to do with him what you please.
Not just ripped actually broke the leading ray... pics below it was hanging by a thread when I received him and opened the bag

Attachments

• 20220113_195013.jpg
    20220113_195013.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220113_195020.jpg
    20220113_195020.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2

Demeter

Ouch, poor fella :( Even so, I've had them still heal up from the same injury. My long finned calico female always seems to break off the tip of one pectoral or the other when she spawns. She has curly pectoral fins due to genetics but it seems the regrowth of the bony part has made it even more curly. So long as there is no infection, even that bad of a break should grow back, just might not be perfectly straight.

The broken fin is on the seller though, I would bet it happened when they netted him out and bagged him. When bagged properly a BN would not be able to break the rays like that during transit. I've shipped many long finned BN and I've never heard from the buyers about broken fins.

Vegetarianpanda

Ouch, poor fella :( Even so, I've had them still heal up from the same injury. My long finned calico female always seems to break off the tip of one pectoral or the other when she spawns. She has curly pectoral fins due to genetics but it seems the regrowth of the bony part has made it even more curly. So long as there is no infection, even that bad of a break should grow back, just might not be perfectly straight.

The broken fin is on the seller though, I would bet it happened when they netted him out and bagged him. When bagged properly a BN would not be able to break the rays like that during transit. I've shipped many long finned BN and I've never heard from the buyers about broken fins.
I think he's a nice looking albino as he's bright yellow and has no spots unlike my personal albino girl who is more whitish on the yellow shade scale and has spots.

Have you heard of Golden albino? I feel conflicted I payed $40 and wanted a super red but at the same time I love the color he is but for the price....I'm not sure

Demeter

40$ for a big adult male long finned albino isn’t terrible but it is a bit on the steeper side.

I do know there’s two colors of albino. One that is very pale yellow, almost white and the other is a rich lemon yellow. I’ve gotten both shades of albino but most turn out to be the lemon yellows. Males definitely seem to be a richer yellow in general. Then there’s the lemon blue eyed BN, never had one so not much for me to say. There was something about a golden dragon, an albino form of the green dragon BN? Not too sure if there is much of a difference in appearance between other lines of albinos. My green dragon male threw some albino babies when I bred him to a long finned albino. I can’t tell them apart from the other albinos.

Here’s some of my BN. Male and female albino long fins, siblings at that.

3984B319-3241-478D-BE5C-42FACA3F2E3E.jpeg
8E0E5DBE-3718-4AE9-AF58-4A82B53BB19C.jpeg
My oldest standard albino, the Lorax.

167D6D8D-61DA-4217-96FD-FA54039B1704.jpeg
My young adult super red, he has the ever so common “dirty” tail markings.

38C0D4BC-98A0-42B7-BF55-22456762C905.jpeg

Vegetarianpanda

He's intresting to say the least.... he looks like your oldest standard albino just without spots
He's intresting to say the least.... he looks like your oldest standard albino just without spots
I think I found a coloring that looks like him completely is a pineapple/albino green dragon...they are a deeper yellow sometimes almost orange.. red eyes but no spots like typical albino. Though can't confirm it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views
Jacob Martinez
  • Question
Replies
Views
Unknown9182
Replies