Can Someone Tell Me What Betta This Is

CrumpetSoup

Reaction score
Hey all, so I've kept fish before but mostly I keep reptiles these days, anyway today a customer came in to the store and left this fish on a desk in my department. Naturally I took it home cause I felt bad for it after looking at it obviously it's a betta fish! However I know very little about betta fish and I just wondered if you could tell me what type he is? Either way I'm gonna set him up in a 5 gallon I'd just like to know what type he is I'm guessing a dragonscale? But my knowledge is limited on the types. 20190704_194613.jpg 20190704_195438.jpg 20190704_195452.jpg

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes it does look like he's a dragonscale betta. It also looks like he could have the marble gene, because of his patchy coloration, which could cause him to change colors over time. I could help you identify his tail type if you want. Just post a side picture of him flaring.

CrumpetSoup

Reaction score
I can't get him to flare right now but I did catch him stretching his tail and it looks almost 180 degrees? It's nearly a semi circle like shape

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CrumpetSoup said:
I can't get him to flare right now but I did catch him stretching his tail and it looks almost 180 degrees? It's nearly a semi circle like shape
A perfect 180 that makes a shape of a capital D would make him a halfmoon, slightly smaller and he'd be a super delta.

CrumpetSoup

Reaction score
20190706_023927.jpg
Repolie said:
A perfect 180 that makes a shape of a capital D would make him a halfmoon, slightly smaller and he'd be a super delta.
I've been looking at him after the introduction to his 5 gallon tank he's definitely a halfmoon, how cool! I do wonder as I see the red under his scales creeping up his body... Is this an indication that he's gonna turn red? The red under his scales has climbed half way up his body, it seems to be getting bolder and taking over the lighter blue scales... But at the same time these deep blue scales seem to be coming in on the top of his body I'm not sure how to guess how his color is gonna pan out, as you saw his fins are a beautiful red color with light cyan streaks running through them. Is it too early to tell? He has transparent fins which I'm assuming is new growth perhaps I need to wait a few months for him to age.

I've added some quick snaps hopefully they're good enough quality.

Attachments

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CrumpetSoup said:
20190706_023927.jpg

I've been looking at him after the introduction to his 5 gallon tank he's definitely a halfmoon, how cool! I do wonder as I see the red under his scales creeping up his body... Is this an indication that he's gonna turn red? The red under his scales has climbed half way up his body, it seems to be getting bolder and taking over the lighter blue scales... But at the same time these deep blue scales seem to be coming in on the top of his body I'm not sure how to guess how his color is gonna pan out, as you saw his fins are a beautiful red color with light cyan streaks running through them. Is it too early to tell? He has transparent fins which I'm assuming is new growth perhaps I need to wait a few months for him to age.

I've added some quick snaps hopefully they're good enough quality.
Stunning

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can't believe someone would want to get rid of him. He is so beautiful, I love his colors.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can never predict what colour they're going to turn out as, so it'll be fun to find out. The transparent fins are not new growth, they just didn't develope colouration.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Typically in dragon scales, the thick metallic coloration takes over the other colors. Sometimes the dragon scale Gene is so strong it ends up growing over the eyes and renders the fish blind. This is called diamond eye. The patches of dark blue on his body are the marbles parts, maybe the marbling gene will keep the dragon scales at bay. If he does begin to develop diamond eye, you should lightly tap on the glass right before feeding him to make him learn that means it's meal time. You can also swish your finger in the water to let him know what direction the food is in. The only thing is you'll have to make sure your hands are clean from everything (including soap) before putting them in the water.

This is a gorgeous fish, and he's lucky to have you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom