Can Someone Tell Me What A Sponge Filter Does?

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see them in so many local fish store aquariums and in youtube videos, what do they do?

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sponge filters offer a great amount of bacterial filtration since they are porous and have lots of space to house bacteria. My sponge is also great at picking up litter (mostly leaves from dead plants), and since there’s no internal moter there’s no fear in jamming or clogging. Sponges do need a clean now and again—just squeeze them out gently in a bucket of tank water and all the goop should be gone.

A lot of people like them for small tanks or for fish who prefer reduced water flow. I also use a sponge on my 20 on the opposite side of my HoB to give it a little kick.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty much what everyone else said. If your bubbler is too strong, it will produce as much, or more current than a HOB or canister.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Absolutely. That's a good way to keep your BB stable. I ran mine for a week after putting a hob on my little tank, then for another week or two at night.

m00njaguar

Reaction score
I don´t have a sponge filter, but I am planning on getting one soon to supplement my hang on back filter. This video will give you a good introduction to his kind of filter. Then you search on Youtube for more videos on sponge filters, many experienced fishkeepers have videos that really praise them...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom