Can Someone Tell Me If This Is Ich?

1. SarahH

SarahH New Member Member

Hi, I’ve recently noticed about 5 white spots on my black fantail, they are still eating but just sat at the bottom of the tank all day. I have done water changes, tested the water with everything being fine apart from hardness level but have bought some aquarium salt to help with this. I’m unsure if it is Ich because it doesn’t quite look like any photos of Ich that I have seen. Please help? Sorry the photo isn’t brilliant

Attached Files:

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Those spots don't really look like ich to me. I'm thinking some sort of lesion thing.

Goldiemom

3. OP
    OP
    SarahH

SarahH New Member Member

Do you know what i can do to help them?

4. Discus-Tang

Sorry, I don't know. I've tagged someone who may be able to help. We'll just have to wait until they get here.

5. OP
    OP
    SarahH

SarahH New Member Member

Looking at pictures it looks more like a fungal infection. Is it cottony like as it being described. Thank you for the reply and helping

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Its a fungul infection of some sort not sure what exactly but

7. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Stop using salt, you don’t know what you’re treating and salt could bc making it worse (why does everyone start poring in salt as soon as they have a problem?)

Wait until someone with more experience replies to you.

What you can do while you wait it add an Indian almond leaf to the tank.

Do you have a filter? Tank size? How many other fish and are they infected too? Water temperature? Water conditions ie: ammonia, nitrates, nitrites? Don’t just say fine, the more information you give the better people can help.

8. Discus-Tang

It could be a parasite either.

9. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

Doesnt look parasitic

10. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

No, Ich looks like tiny white grains of salt, that looks more like a fungal infection but could be bacterial.

11. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

It's cotten? Epsom salt is the only salt I recommend for fresh water fish. It's to treat dropsey. Sounds like cotten wool disease. It's caused by a weak fish (weak immune system), poor water quality, or not cleaning right. Another thing is that if you have decomposing plants, cotten fungus likes to attach and eat the dead plants. Now for treating this problem get tea tree oil. Also isolate them!

12. Discus-Tang

never use pure tea tree oil; use a diluted one like melafix.

13. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

If it's cotton like areas, based on the photo i saw, it's likely to be velvet which is one of the paracitic problems that commonly attack cold water species like goldfish. I would go ahead and treat the tank with API General Cure. It wipes out velvet quickly and any secondary fungal infections that may occur. But the problem that I can't get back to from this response page is that you may have shrimp and/or snails and I'm not sure if you can safely use General Cure with inverts.

14. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Honestly, my bet is either early stages of columnaris (can be treated with Furan 2)
    Or a parasite more common in goldfish called Costia. It looks like an overproduction of the slime coat, some strains can be treated with salt, others with normal Ich medications.
    @Discus-Tang what do you think the possibility that it's columnaris is?

15. Discus-Tang

I don't believe it's columnaris as there are five sites on the fish and it's not near the dorsal fin.

16. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Doesn’t that kill in days?

17. gracelovespixie

gracelovespixie Valued Member Member

Looks like a bacterial infection to me. I treated my fish with king British methylene blue and that cleared it up within a week x

18. Discus-Tang

It depends on the strain. Some kill in days, some kill in weeks.

19. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Depending on the strain it can kill in 24 hours or several days.

Start with daily water changes, goldfish are messy so this will help get nutrients your goldfish needs into the tank. I would start with methylene blue dips to help (this will help against fungus and cottony infections for slowing it down so you have time to get meds).

20. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I forgot to add diluted. Was heading out the door. Thanks