Can Someone Sex These Shrimp?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Got my kid two ghost shrimp (they ARE ghosts right?) from the store for his tank to help maintain cleanliness (along with a mystery snail because my son loves snails).

For the life of me i have no idea how to tell the sex of the shrimp. Theyre cute and already going to town on the substrate. Theyre housed with a couple platy fry and a sponge filter.

One is also an orange-brown colour. Is this normal?

Sorry. Im a shrimp newb.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, they are ghosts. Looks like you have two males. Their color can vary (although they are always mostly pale/transparent) so that is normal as well. Good luck, they're fun little guys!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are ghosts. Looks like you have two males. Their color can vary (although they are always mostly pale/transparent) so that is normal as well. Good luck, they're fun little guys!
Having two boys isnt an issue right? Im okay with them not breeding, but they wont bicker? Theyre still small, less than an inch, but theyre very active and busy. I cant wait for my son to see them when he gets home. The tank needed something to help maintain cleaning but 10gal too small for most other bottom feeders and i also didnt want to add more fish aside from the platies (planning on keeping only 3 when full grown in there). Ive done some reading on shrimp for a little bit before out of curiosity... so i know the general care idea at least, but im clueless about the smaller details.

Do they do better in groups (if so, should i add more?) Or are 2 just fine?

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Having two boys isnt an issue right? Im okay with them not breeding, but they wont bicker? Theyre still small, less than an inch, but theyre very active and busy. I cant wait for my son to see them when he gets home. The tank needed something to help maintain cleaning but 10gal too small for most other bottom feeders and i also didnt want to add more fish aside from the platies (planning on keeping only 3 when full grown in there). Ive done some reading on shrimp for a little bit before out of curiosity... so i know the general care idea at least, but im clueless about the smaller details.

Do they do better in groups (if so, should i add more?) Or are 2 just fine?
Two males isn't an issue at all, and having just two of them is completely fine. They're not particularly social but they're not aggressive either. Some people say there is one specific subspecies of ghost shrimp that are particularly aggressive that will attack fish fins or other shrimp, but as long as you don't observe that behavior, they'll be totally fine.

I will say, since they are generally used as feeder shrimp, they don't have particularly long lifespans and might die out of nowhere - this doesn't mean you did anything wrong, it just means they reached their limit. I had a shrimp tank up for a while and I think out of a group of 10ish, the one that lasted the longest probably lived 5 or 6 months. I tested my water and all, it was fine, tank was already cycled pre-shrimp addition, they never showed symptoms of any illness, and they wouldn't all drop at the same time, it would just be one randomly every two or three weeks. They also don't breed like cherries or other neocardina - they have a totally different life cycle - so they often don't breed (more like larvae won't survive) in a filtered aquarium, especially with fish.

But they are super awesome to watch. I think the best thing is when I gave them tiny crumbles of algae wafer. They would go CRAZY, jumping around the tank all trying to grab a piece as it fell. Then they would try to walk with it in their front little leg things to bring it off to a hiding place. Sometimes they would try to carry two or three pieces at a time and they would all be running and dropping the wafer bits and scurrying back to grab it just to drop another one and so on. It was the most entertaining thing. Enjoy your ghost shrimp!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Two males isn't an issue at all, and having just two of them is completely fine. They're not particularly social but they're not aggressive either. Some people say there is one specific subspecies of ghost shrimp that are particularly aggressive that will attack fish fins or other shrimp, but as long as you don't observe that behavior, they'll be totally fine.

I will say, since they are generally used as feeder shrimp, they don't have particularly long lifespans and might die out of nowhere - this doesn't mean you did anything wrong, it just means they reached their limit. I had a shrimp tank up for a while and I think out of a group of 10ish, the one that lasted the longest probably lived 5 or 6 months. I tested my water and all, it was fine, tank was already cycled pre-shrimp addition, they never showed symptoms of any illness, and they wouldn't all drop at the same time, it would just be one randomly every two or three weeks. They also don't breed like cherries or other neocardina - they have a totally different life cycle - so they often don't breed (more like larvae won't survive) in a filtered aquarium, especially with fish.

But they are super awesome to watch. I think the best thing is when I gave them tiny crumbles of algae wafer. They would go CRAZY, jumping around the tank all trying to grab a piece as it fell. Then they would try to walk with it in their front little leg things to bring it off to a hiding place. Sometimes they would try to carry two or three pieces at a time and they would all be running and dropping the wafer bits and scurrying back to grab it just to drop another one and so on. It was the most entertaining thing. Enjoy your ghost shrimp!
I just got platy fry in the tank right now and im feeding them powdered shrimp pellets... is it wrong the shrimp are going nuts over that?? Lol

I did read they do have a very short lifespan. If i like these guys and do well with them, perhaps i could get some amanos. I only have ghost shrimp or amano shrimp or rock shrimp available locally. Figured id try ghost because theyre tiny right now, since i have the fry growing. I know they will get bigger, but for now this is perfect.

My kid really likes them, so thats a bonus. If they do well keeping the tank tidy, maybe ill consider some for my other tanks. Maybe ONE amano for the big tank, because the ones at my store got HUGE. Almost 4". Id be scared itd eat my cories lol

These guys are just under an inch, my mystery snail is only half its full size, to compare. So hopefully ill have some time with these guys.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My husband went out and picked up 2 more shrimp... can i safely guess both new ones are boys too?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom