Can Someone Please Tell Me What I'm Going Wrong?

1. D

DCabral New Member Member

Hi, i'm a fairly new fish keeper, I've had my 29 gallon aquarium for about 5 months now, give or take. I've been having an issue with cloudy water for about 2 months, i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

Water Parameters:
    PH: 6.4
    Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 40ppm~

I'm not sure why my Nitrates are so high, also my tap water has .25pmm normally which is what I use for my tank.

Stocking:
    1 Apple Snail
    1 Nerite Snail
    3 Cherry Shrimp (1 red 2 blue)
    6 Harlequin Rasboras
    5 Zebra Danios
    5 Neons Tetras
    2 Red Wag Plattys
    1 Clown Loach
    and a BUNCH of Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Plants:
    Amazon Swords
    Java Fern
    Moss Ball

The type of filter I use is the Aqua-Tech 30-60 with a pantyhose covering the intake because I plan to have cherry shrimp babies which i don't want sucked up into the filter.

And help/advice will be great!

Thanks in advance! :D

2. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

I might be wrong but, your tank looks overstocked. Also the clown loach will need something bigger.

3. OP
    OP
    D

The fish are rather small and I do plan on re-homing the clown loach,

4. i

But zebra Danios do get big

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra danios don't get that big.
    I'd rehome the clown loach and one of the mid-dwelling schools, 3 mid-dwelling schools is too many in this size tank.

6. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

What's your water change schedule? One thing that could be a possibility is your tank stock is producing too much waste, most likely from the large amount of snails.

7. OP
    OP
    D

I thought snails had a tiny bioload?

8. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

My mystery snail poops more than any of my fish. (Or at least it seems like it) I'm constantly cleaning up snail poop.

9. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Agree with the others, sounds like you're probably well stocked, probably overfeeding. ANd what is your water change schedule? Small and infrequent? 50%/week is a good standard.

10. OP
    OP
    D

I feed every other day and change out 10~gallons of water a week

11. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

The bio load is low, but all those snails producing little bits of waste which may break up and make the water cloudy. Like I said before how do you do your water changes? In the end if you are not adequately changing water enough water will remain cloudy. This probably also explains high nitrates, as the only practical way in lowering them is really through water changes. But, if your doing about 50% weekly i think your fine. One final thing is if you are gravel cleaning. Alot of waste does get stuck in substrate and is really not noticeable until you gravel clean all the waste up.

Edit: Op said water changes, I would increase to 15 gal and see if cloudiness disappears, also don't except for it it to disappear in a week sometimes depending on the situation it can go up to a month or longer.

12. Biev

Biev Valued Member Member

I'd worry more about the ammonia than the nitrates / water cloudiness...

13. OP
    OP
    D

I change about 10 gallons of water every week, maybe i should start doing 15 gallons. And i do vac the substrate but maybe not enough?

The ammonia is from my tap water. It might not even be ammonia, but ammonium. I should probably buy some Prime for that

14. Anders247

15. i

They can get around 5 inches.

16. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Neither zebra danios or clown loaches grow to 5 inches. 2 inches would be a big zebra danio, clown loaches can get up to a foot.

Are you thinking of giant danios?

17. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

2.5" and live app. 4yrs. A 3" zebra danio is a big fish!

18. Anders247

Yeah zebra danios should be between 2 and 2.5 inches at full length.