Can someone PLEASE recommend an Aquarium Cooler/Chiller for my Tank? 20 Gallon Tank

1. Jak3d Initiate Member

The weather is getting awfully hot and the temperature in my aquarium has rocketed! I will need to purchase an aquarium cooler/chiller for my 20 gallon tank ASAP! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

try freezing well water or sink water with conditioner. I don't believe that there is a water chiller, but you can throw two or three cubes when it is hot and it should help... I never had a problem with that though.

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

Just get a couple of clip-on fans from Walmart or something. If it's really bad you can try sticking a water bottle in the freezer until it's semi-frozen, then float it.

4. mg13 Well Known Member Member

good idea

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Chillers are a lot of money. What's your current temp?

6. Jak3d Initiate Member

Current temperature looks like its 85. My platy looks like its dying :(

7. shrimp Member Member

I thought platys were tropical fish and preferred warmer temperatures? I've kept them in my pond before where temperatures would hit 90 without any problem at all.

8. Jak3d Initiate Member

I have 3 fishes... a platy, guppy, and guorami. The thing is that my temperatre fluctuates. It can go from 82 to like as high as 88 on hotter days. I had my temperature set at 77 when it was cooler and it remained constant at that time. I just thought the fluctuating temperatures might kill my fish.

9. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, the fluctuating temperatures are very hard on them, and this is going way too high. You could take some tank water, freeze it in cubes, and then put it into plastic bags that you can float in the water.

Some Platies are actually temperate fish. they can take a wide range of temperatures from about 68° to about 82°, which is why people think that they are all from a tropical climate.

What kind of Gourami do you have and what is your pH or, you know, your KH?

10. fishlee Member Member

Put colder water in a sealed bottle and leave it in the tank by the filter outlet :confused:

11. virusmk Well Known Member Member

fluctuating temperature can harm them for sure but as long as you dont have rapid drop or rise they would be ok.
    In hot days turn your heater during the day just in case.

12. fishlee Member Member

Main thing with high temps it to provide a good supply of oxygen

13. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

14. amdpayne Member Member

Good thread and question... lots of great advice!! My temps have been increasing too. Ugh! Hate this weather, and I'm sure my fish aren't crazy about it either. :/

15. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Via aqua makes quality titanium core chillers. Too cool your aquarium a few degrees, a clip on fan with its breeze faced at the water surface as suggested would work as the least expensive option.

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

17. amdpayne Member Member

Just noticed this morning after my betta's wc last night, his tank was up to 90F!! :( He seemed fine and happy, but esp since I'm trying to fight fin rot, I turned his tank lid askew, am blowing a fan on it, and am currently freezing some of his tank water to mix back in. Ugh. I don't want to leave his lid totally off, esp when I'm out this afternoon, because I heard bettas might jump. Will a day of 90 harm him? He seems just fine, and I'm actively doing things to lower the temp.

18. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I guess everyone has their one opinion...

Don't you have an Air Conditioner?

19. amdpayne Member Member

Are you saying those are bad options? Not arguing, just curious.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have AC. :) If I did, I imagine I'd be using it instead of sweating every night and worrying about how to cool my fish.

20. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I was talking about "hating this weather"

lol

I love summer, it's never long enough..