Can Someone Please Help??

julifhy

Well Known
I've already made 2 threads about this, but I still have no responses.
My betta is currently dealing with fin rot. I gave him a salt bath about 2 weeks ago, did frequent water changes, and added Seachem Stress Guard. His fin rot looks a little better now.
Last week I was trimming the hornwort I have in the 10 gallon I'm setting up for him and I decided to put a small bunch in his current tank. It was in his tank for maybe 4 days, but I had to tank it out because it turned brown and was shedding like crazy. This is when I noticed a small brown spot on his head. I saw this bump before, but I thought it was just the light reflecting off of his scales, but now it seems like it is some sort of growth.
Another thing I'm concerned about are his eyes. I've noticed this maybe a month ago. His eyes seem bigger than they were and they have a "ring" around them. Could this be popeye?
With all these symptoms, could this possibly be columnaris? I really hope it's not. It would really help if someone shared their insight on this with me. I'm really worried about him.
He's also acting perfectly healthy. He's swimming around and has a huge appetite. The water parameters are stable.
For more details, you can go to these threads:
Please help!! - Brown Spot on Betta Help - | 458495 | Betta Fish
Brown Spot and maybe Popeye on Betta? Help - | 458614 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

Currently I'm doing 25% daily water changes and adding Seachem Stress Guard. I'm also going to get Indian almond leaves. Is there anything else I should do? I would also really appreciate if anyone knew what this was.

JuiceBox52

Up the water changes to 60% or more. Not sure what it is but clean water is one of the best healing techniques as it dilutes waste and disease organisms in the water, preventing secondary infections and healing the original issue.

If it was columnaris you would see it affecting him more and faster, it can wipe out a whole tank in just a day or two.

I hope he gets better!

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
JuiceBox52 said:
Up the water changes to 60% or more. Not sure what it is but clean water is one of the best healing techniques as it dilutes waste and disease organisms in the water, preventing secondary infections and healing the original issue.

If it was columnaris you would see it affecting him more and faster, it can wipe out a whole tank in just a day or two.

I hope he gets better!
Ty! I'll up the water changes then. I should still continue to do them everyday right?
My previous betta died from columnaris and what my current betta might have looks a lot different, so I'm really hoping that's not what it is. I also couldn't find anything about brown spots being columnaris related. In fact, I haven't found anything about brown spots on bettas.
Also does it look like if he might have popeye from any of these pictures: Please help!! - Brown Spot on Betta Help - | 458495 | Betta Fish? Or am I just overreacting?

JuiceBox52

julifhy said:
Ty! I'll up the water changes then. I should still continue to do them everyday right?
My previous betta died from columnaris and what my current betta might have looks a lot different, so I'm really hoping that's not what it is. I also couldn't find anything about brown spots being columnaris related. In fact, I haven't found anything about brown spots on bettas.
Also does it look like if he might have popeye from any of these pictures: Please help!! - Brown Spot on Betta Help - | 458495 | Betta Fish? Or am I just overreacting?
Maybe a little bit. As with fin rot the best treatment for that is clean water. It's most often caused by poor water quality. Do the daily water changes for 2 weeks. You can add aquarium salt to the tank for the 2 weeks as well. Avoid salt baths because the stress of netting them can lower their immune system, just as stress lowers our immune systems.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
JuiceBox52 said:
Maybe a little bit. As with fin rot the best treatment for that is clean water. It's most often caused by poor water quality. Do the daily water changes for 2 weeks. You can add aquarium salt to the tank for the 2 weeks as well. Avoid salt baths because the stress of netting them can lower their immune system, just as stress lowers our immune systems.
I had an ammonia spike back in February and I think that's what caused the fin rot :(.
I was originally planning on adding the salt to the tank, but then I was told to do a salt bath instead. I guess I'll add it to his tank then. Ty!

JuiceBox52

julifhy said:
I had an ammonia spike back in February and I think that's what caused the fin rot :(.
I was originally planning on adding the salt to the tank, but then I was told to do a salt bath instead. I guess I'll add it to his tank then. Ty!
No problem! Keep me posted :)

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Update:
The brown spot on his head look a little better! I’m still worried about his eyes though. They still seem to be pretty big with rings around them. As for the fin rot, that’s still going to take a while to heal obviously. Here’s a picture from today:
2B9F3F86-91E8-4C96-ABA6-AC6FF54DB218.jpeg

Also, I’ve finished setting up my 10 gallon. I think I’m going to make a separate thread on this, but should I start a completely new cycle, or should I use his current filter and gravel to start the cycle in the new tank so I can put him in sooner?

JuiceBox52

julifhy said:
Update:
The brown spot on his head look a little better! I’m still worried about his eyes though. They still seem to be pretty big with rings around them. As for the fin rot, that’s still going to take a while to heal obviously. Here’s a picture from today:
2B9F3F86-91E8-4C96-ABA6-AC6FF54DB218.jpeg

Also, I’ve finished setting up my 10 gallon. I think I’m going to make a separate thread on this, but should I start a completely new cycle, or should I use his current filter and gravel to start the cycle in the new tank so I can put him in sooner?
Either way works fine for cycling.

Is it possible it could be velvet? I know that usually isnt clumped together but it has that look sort of

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
That’s actually what I first thought when I saw it, but I don’t think he’s showing any symptoms. He’s definitely not scratching on anything and he has a huge appetite. Is there any other symptoms I should look for?

JuiceBox52

julifhy said:
That’s actually what I first thought when I saw it, but I don’t think he’s showing any symptoms. He’s definitely not scratching on anything and he has a huge appetite. Is there any other symptoms I should look for?
Just lethargy I believe.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
julifhy said:
Yeah, he’s definitely not lethargic lol.
He wasn't lethargic then, but he's starting to seem a little lethargic now. He's also not glass surfing anymore when someone enters the room and I don't know if that's good or not. Maybe I'm not giving him enough attention? He loves attention lol. I've also kept my window blinds shut because the sun heats up my room too much, so could it be because of having low light? I can move around somethings to plug in his light again if that's the case, but I've also read bettas don't mind having low light...

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom