Can someone please help me sex these dwarf gouramis?

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by waig, Dec 9, 2012.

1. waigNew MemberMember

I recently purchased some Dwarf Gouramis. I have 3 in a 50 gallon tank along with some platys. I have 1 Flame, 1 powder blue, and 1 regular DG i guess you would call it. I've been doing some research on sexing them and have read that the females will have dull colors and rounded fins. My flame is definitely a male (bright and pointed dorsal fin) but the other two seem to have bright colors and rounded dorsal fins. So, yea, I'm confused. Maybe one of you fine upstanding citizens could help me out? I've included one picture of the regular DG and two of the powder blue (it was not nice enough to come to the front of the tank and pose so I couldn't get a great pic.) Also, if either of them do turn out to be female, does anyone have any speculation on what the babies would look like if I was able to breed them with Mr. Flame?

Thanks in advance,
    -Waig

Attached Files:

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

They are all males. You can tell the regular one is a male because it has color. The fact that you are calling the other a powder blue tells me it's blue, and that it's also a male, because it's blue. Females are a drab silver color, and their body shape is different. The bottom of the male is a nice straight slope to the tail, while a female has a more rounded belly that makes for a more abrupt angle to the tail.

The rounded fin ID is for the trichopodus gouramis, which DGs are not. They are trichogaster

3. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello and welcome to fishlore :)

I agree the second picture is a male but the first and last picture looks like female to me a better picture would help :) but she looks a bit like my Liara who is a female neon blue dwarf gourami who is a soft bluey silver colour with a chubby tummy (she's big boned lol)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355042003.814150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355042044.175526.jpg
    She isn't very cooperative when it comes to posing for the camera

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Female Dwarf Gourami are nearly non existent in the aquarium trade. They aren't pretty enough to sell well so most fish stores don't carry them.

5. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

My girl is pretty ;) I got her with a male as a pair but I lost my male :(
    I think the neon blue females are probably more available as they have a silvery mirror effect to their colouring which is very pretty under the right light

6. OP
    OP
    w

waigNew MemberMember

Jaysee, according to pretty much every (actually I think is literally every) website I have seen the dorsal fin is a way to sex dwarf gouramis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_gourami (check the breeding section) Also, as you can see in the pic, the "powder blue" DG isn't amazingly bright blue or anything. More of a metallic silvery blue.

Magoo, thank you for your help. I know the pictures aren't the best. I will try to get some better ones in the morning. They are still pretty shy with the new tank. Do you think the regular DG is a male because of the color? If so does that mean you also discount the dorsal fin method of sexing? The difference in shape between the flame's fin and the regular's is quite pronounced. Also, is there anything better to call it than "regular DG"?

Thanks
    -Waig

Also, if these are all males will a 50 gallon tank be big enough for all 3 to get along?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  7. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

It's hard to say as it will be down to their personalities but dwarf gourami aren't as aggressive as regular gourami.

If you provide them with hiding places and they like floating plants too and it helps to break up their line of sight.
    Sounds like they have enough space so it very well could work :)

My male wasn't aggressive at all but Liara well we have a love hate relationship but she tends to only pick on things bigger than her she's crazy lol.

She is housed with endlers and doesn't bother them although the last couple of days she has been a little weird so I am keeping my eye on her at the moment she may be sulking because I have had to use a different food temporarily.

How is your tank decorated? Any tank pictures?

8. Jaysee

Where did you get them?

Even if the one in question is a female, your question is still valid. Probably not. It could, but stress can be a long term killer, so the question is how long does it work for.

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i had a 40g breeder and i had 3 DG's all fight. i had to remove 2 and just left the one. after that DG died i added 3 honey gouramis. all was fine tell one died of natural causes, then one of the two left killed the other... i guess the 1st i lost was the peace keeper. and honeys are suppose to be much more peaceful then the DG's.

form my experience its best to only have one unless you have a really big tank, 6ft. others have kept them together in smaller, so sense you already have them id give it a try. you will have to keep a eye out for aggression form here on, so if you want a 100% peaceful tank id return 2. lots of tall decorations and floating plants will help.

yes sometime a fish wont even nip or chase the other fish. it basically just intimidates him. this causes stress and can cause illness or death. so if you see one of them hiding or becoming inactive you will have to do something.

10. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

It's definitely worth having a back up plan just incase.

Gourami are the same family as bettas and do share similar character traits they are definitely little individuals and if they decide they don't like each other then it could go wrong

11. OP
    OP
    w

waigNew MemberMember

Hmm, some of my posts go right up and some say they need moderator approval. Any idea why this is? Is it because I put a link in the ones that needed approval?

I don't have a picture yet and don't really want to turn on the light in their room and wake them up. I'll take one in the morning. I would say its moderately planted right now but I am adding more plants as time passes. So far i have a medium sized piece of driftwood and maybe 5-6 plants of varying sizes.

Thanks

12. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Possibly if there are pictures attached that aren't ones you have taken yourself.

Let them sleep and pictures will help but do keep an eye on them :)

13. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

im not sure, maybe because your still very new. i cant remember if it was like that for me. might have been the link was that the only one?

14. Jaysee

It's probably because you are new and posting links. Could be an anti-spam mechanism.

15. OP
    OP
    w

waigNew MemberMember

Ah well now they both popped up so i pretty much have duplicate messages up there. Hmm.. Lets see if i can delete one...

edit:
    Ok deleted the duplicate. I'm pretty sure it was because I had a link in it (even if it was just to wikipedia lol) Anyway, its post # 6 up there if you guys don't mind checking it out.

Thanks

16. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

As with anything sometimes the fins come out differently so you have to look at other pointers as to what sex they are :)

Definitely the colour on your dwarf gourami he is a boy with those stripes and the body shape and colouring is leaning me towards female on the other.

Liaras fins aren't that rounded but she is definitely a girl I did have her with a male so it was easy to tell the difference.

Better pictures will help but I still think you have a girl :)

17. Jaysee

The dorsal fin is not how you sex them. It is how you sex other gouramis and it is incorrectly applied to them. They are a sexual dimorphic species, meaning males and females look different. The one with the stripes is 100% certainly male. The other may be a female - like was said its tough to tell because of the pic. Also, it's difficult to tell just how colorful the fish is from the pictures.

The first two places I looked both refer to the color differences, FYI. Our profile for them, and another forums profile.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice