Can someone please confirm if this is dropsy? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by GradSchoolZombie87, Jan 12, 2013.

1. GradSchoolZombie87Valued MemberMember

Guppy_Dropsy.jpg Hello everyone,

I am just wanting to know if Dropsy killed my fish? He was fully grown when I got him and I know that guppies are not long-lived and as they get older they lose immunity. My aquarium is over a year old and is completely stable. All the other fish are doing well. I took this photo right after I put him in a quarantine because I could tell he was sick. he was enlarged in the abdomen, his scales were standing out as if he were a puffer fish and was just not his normal self. Unfortunately, he died just a bit after this picture was taken. I think the shock of netting him and putting him in a new environment stressed him to death... Anyway, could someone please verify that this is dropsy? If so, how can I make sure my other fish won't get sick? I can't use aquarium salt because it's a planted tank and salt destroys my cryptocorynes. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Sorry about your fish :( That looks like dropsy to me. Its my understanding that dropsy is caused by bacteria which are always present but usually not dangerous to a healthy fish. Stress, poor water conditions, and old age can compromise a fish's immune system, allowing the bacteria to take hold.

I would check your parameters and make sure all your values are at acceptable levels ie: ammonia=o
    nitrite=0 Nitrate=<40, >20 is better imo.

3. GradSchoolZombie87Valued MemberMember

Hi Matt, parameters all look great. I think he was just old. By the time these guys get to the pet store, who knows how old they really are, especially if they are already full-gown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice