Help Can someone please confirm if this is dropsy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GradSchoolZombie87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppy_Dropsy.jpgHello everyone,

I am just wanting to know if Dropsy killed my fish? He was fully grown when I got him and I know that guppies are not long-lived and as they get older they lose immunity. My aquarium is over a year old and is completely stable. All the other fish are doing well. I took this photo right after I put him in a quarantine because I could tell he was sick. he was enlarged in the abdomen, his scales were standing out as if he were a puffer fish and was just not his normal self. Unfortunately, he died just a bit after this picture was taken. I think the shock of netting him and putting him in a new environment stressed him to death... Anyway, could someone please verify that this is dropsy? If so, how can I make sure my other fish won't get sick? I can't use aquarium salt because it's a planted tank and salt destroys my cryptocorynes. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry about your fish That looks like dropsy to me. Its my understanding that dropsy is caused by bacteria which are always present but usually not dangerous to a healthy fish. Stress, poor water conditions, and old age can compromise a fish's immune system, allowing the bacteria to take hold.

I would check your parameters and make sure all your values are at acceptable levels ie: ammonia=o
nitrite=0 Nitrate=<40, >20 is better imo.

OP
GradSchoolZombie87

GradSchoolZombie87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Matt, parameters all look great. I think he was just old. By the time these guys get to the pet store, who knows how old they really are, especially if they are already full-gown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom