Can Someone Identity This Cichlid?

JMichaelD

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess I subconsciously like to make myself mad by looking at the “mixed Mbuna” tank when I stop by my local pet store. I can’t not, and I’ve seen some weird things go through.
Yesterday this was the only inhabitant and I’m stumped as to the species. I think he’s a really cool looking fish but my searches never produced results. Would anyone care to opine?

BCBDD456-ECE4-48BA-B9E6-53C1669D40BD.png 9B6F5683-04F1-4DFD-9E10-CB43DF008E51.png 4F422A82-4F13-4903-980A-D96A4FC30D44.png BF064DC5-68D6-47F3-A862-26FE1702F408.png 19FC322B-990E-45C4-BA92-8858C8DEC2A3.png

JMichaelD

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I initially wondered if it might be a Hap instead of Mbuna from the head shape. I’m not very well versed when it comes to identifying the different species yet and I appreciate the input.
Question for you though. Since venting wasn’t an option I went for the pointed dorsal, multiple egg spots myth which indicated (to me at least) it was a male. Am I correct in saying it’s straight up experience if not venting? I miss it almost every time I guess.
Thanks again for your time.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Juvenile rock kribs all look female so it could be a young male. Time will tell, if it’s 2in and still yellow then I’d say it’s a female.

JMichaelD

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I said the same thing when I first saw it . But then the shape looked liked something other than Mbuna to me. But you’re right, colored like the lab with the striping of an Auratus.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Victorian haps can be the more confusing group, I had no idea there was another lake other than Malawi as those are the most common in the hobby. After impulse buying my mystery hap I started searching and learned a good deal about the different lakes and the species there within.

If you know it’s not an mbuna or peacock and has amazing color for its small size then you can guess its a Victorian hap. Victorians often have an interesting mix of yellow, red, green and orange. There’s not as much blue in that lake as there seems to be in the others. Of course I’m no expert, just know what I’ve already kept or contemplated keeping

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom