Can someone ID this Mbuna

SinisterCichlids

Hello, can someone help ID this mbuna for me? Specifically, the Latin name would be preferred, but anything will help. I just picked him up from the store and can't seem to remember what he is! I think it is a metriaclima aurora? A201 I know you got this one!!

Attachments

qldmick

SinisterCichlids said:
Hello, can someone help ID this mbuna for me? Specifically, the Latin name would be preferred, but anything will help. I just picked him up from the store and can't seem to remember what he is! I think it is a metriaclima aurora? A201 I know you got this one!!
That was my first thought.

MacZ

Metriaclima aurora may fit. Usually the head is not fully yellow. Maybe a hybrid.

Take a look here, you can switch the language of the site to English. There are several Metriaclima species and forms that could fit. M. aurora alone has a dozen of locality types.

Edit: Leaning towards Metriaclima hajomaylandi.

BigBeardDaHuZi

M
MacZ said:
Metriaclima aurora may fit. Usually the head is not fully yellow. Maybe a hybrid.

Take a look here, you can switch the language of the site to English. There are several Metriaclima species and forms that could fit. M. aurora alone has a dozen of locality types.

Malawi Guru is so awesome

MacZ

The site is my go to. A lot has changed in taxonomy since I kept Malawis and a lot of species and location types have been introduced to the trade since then. Sites like this one keep me on track, although I don't keep any Malawis anymore myself.

A201

I had to cheat & look that one up;
Maylandia Aurora, Likoma Island.
Never seen one for sale in my area.
Very flashy mbuna.

SinisterCichlids

A201 said:
I had to cheat & look that one up;
Maylandia Aurora, Likoma Island.
Never seen one for sale in my area.
Very flashy mbuna.
I am all about the flashy mbuna haha. He is pretty small, maybe 2.5 inches, but showing great color and strong fins. Hasnt developed any egg spots really yet, but too colorful to be a 2female.

MacZ said:

I think you are right with the hajomaylandi. Definitely metriaclima though, we know that haha.

MacZ

SinisterCichlids said:
Hasnt developed any egg spots really yet, but too colorful to be a 2female.
Oh, don't be so sure. Especially with Metriaclima/Maylandia this can be wrong. Females can be very colourful. The eggspots aren't a sure sign either.

Top Bottom