Can Someone Help Me With My Cycle?

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
I'm doing a fishless cycle. It took 4 weeks for my tank (2.6 gallon fluval spec) to go from 8ppm ammonia to .25. Before I add ammonia I did a 25% water change. It was the first water change I've done. I usually just add more water due to evaporation.

This was my tank before I did the waterchange-

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
PH 7.2
Temp 80 Degrees F

After I added the ammonia and did the water change, I did the API testing my tank stats are this--

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH 7.2
Temp 80 Degrees F

I usually do API testing every 3 days but since I feel like my tank is almost done cycling I do it everyday. This morning I checked the water pentameters and was shocked by my results --

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I didn't wan't my bacteria to die so I added ammonia till it reached 4ppm again. I know I'm supposed to get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate readings and below. I know that if my ammonia and nitrite reaches 0 within a 24 hour period my tank is cycled.

Was my decision to add ammonia the correct one? Would adding ammonia help my nitrite reach zero too or increase it by 5ppm, making my cycle longer? This is my first time cycling a tank and I just want to make sure i'm doing everything right. Can someone help please?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Confused_Penguin said:
I'm doing a fishless cycle. It took 4 weeks for my tank (2.6 gallon fluval spec) to go from 8ppm ammonia to .25. Before I add ammonia I did a 25% water change. It was the first water change I've done. I usually just add more water due to evaporation.

This was my tank before I did the waterchange-

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
PH 7.2
Temp 80 Degrees F

After I added the ammonia and did the API testing my tank stats are this--

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
PH 7.2
Temp 80 Degrees F

I usually do API testing every 3 days but since I feel like my tank is almost done cycling I do it everyday. This morning I checked the water pentameters and was shocked by my results --

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I didn't wan't my bacteria to die so I added ammonia till it reached 4ppm again. I know I'm supposed to get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate readings and below. I know that if my ammonia and nitrite reaches 0 within a 24 hour period my tank is cycled.

Was my decision to add ammonia the correct one? Would adding ammonia help my nitrite reach zero too or increase it by 5ppm, making my cycle longer? This is my first time cycling a tank and I just want to make sure i'm doing everything right. Can someone help please?
You are right on track. Now that your tank is cycling the ammonia over a 24 hour period of time you are getting close to a complete cycle. Just continue doing what you are doing (adding ammonia each time it drops) and you will soon see the nitrites going down. Once they hit 0. your daily dose of ammonia is gone within 24 hours and you have some nitrates your cycle will be complete.

Once done just go ahead and continue to feed the cycle (bacteria) with ammonia up until the day before you put fish in there.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are correct! You need your ammonia and nitrites to reach 0ppm after 24 hours. Adding ammonia will help you nitrites come down, because it'll create more nitrite for the nitrite feeding bacteria to feed on and their colony to grow.
So yes, it might make your cycle seem "longer", but your also not cycled until the nitrites go down. And if you stop adding ammonia bacteria will start to die. I'd say you shouldn't take longer than a few more days until you're fully cycled.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom