Can someone help diagnose Ernesto? :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kinezumi89, Dec 16, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi all,

Ernesto is my male apisto trifasciata that I got from ZeeZ a few months ago. He's been doing very well in his current home of a 20 long with fellow tankmates consisting of endlers, cories, and used to be a school of neons, though I moved them (all except for one that I can't catch).

One day last week, I went to feed him and noticed his fins were very clamped and he wast very interested in food. This continued, so I started feeding him garlic-soaked bloodworms, which he gobbled up. He's been hiding behind the heater, though he comes out to say hello when I stand in front of the tank.

This morning he was out in the open, which I thought would be a good thing, but he looked very skinny (despite getting bloodworms every other day and whatever he ate of the flakes I sank to the bottom of the tank for him). He also wouldn't eat the bloodworms, which he's always liked. He's swimming around a little, but I saw the cories scuttling about and swim right into him and he didn't really get out of the way at all.

I've been messaging ZeeZ about it, and he thinks he's stressed about something. There was construction going on upstairs, and I thought maybe the vibrations were traveling through the tank and upsetting him, but they've stopped for the most part and he isn't improving.

There aren't any other visible signs besides clamping, hiding, and his color might be a little faded, but his stripe is still bolder than when he was hiding in the 55 (for those of you who were around for that).

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to blindly medicate since I don't see any visible issues; I do have a spare 5.5 gallon but I don't have a filter (I'd have to remove one of the filters from the divided 10 gallon, which I guess would probably be okay temporarily). I'm going to see if I can find live brine shrimp, or frozen at the very least to give him some variety.

I'm on my phone so I can't upload pictures, but I'll do so later today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :(

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Clamped fins + hunger + getting very skinny ... This sounds like maybe parasites to me. Could you have gotten parasites somehow in Ernesto's tank?

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I think it's very unlikely because the fish have all come from fellow members (Ernesto came from ZeeZ, endlers from Cichlidnut, neons from Rogue). I had the cories for a long time and they've not shown any signs either. Also, he's been eating less, so I think I can attribute his skinniness to that. Thank you for the suggestion though :)

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

I second JoannaBs suggestion. Id say internal parasites. This is exactly how a few of my girls started to behave which then led me to investigate further, they ended up with C. Worms. I would go with some sort of mild anti parasitic medication. Good luck hun :)

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I do have PraziPro, so can treat with that if anyone thinks it would be a good idea. I'm hesitant to say its parasites though because there have been no changes to the tank for so long, and his change was very sudden - he was fine, then the next day he was clamping.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A stressed fish tends to be skittish. The fact that the Corys swam into it like that indicates that there's something going on that's inside the fish, not outside the tank. That's how I see it at least.

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hmm interesting. But unlike ich or columnaris, which a fish can contract anytime, parasites have to come from somewhere, and I don't know where they would have come from.

8. Jaysee

Ich is a parasite - the fish cannot get it any old time. With parasites, the fish can have them for some time before they exhibit any symptoms.

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Woops, mybad :;smack Would you suggest I treat with Prazipro? Or get something else? It's not that I'm against treating, I just find it unlikely that a forum member would send me sick fish.

10. Jaysee

I think it's unlikely that they would knowingly send you sick fish. Like I said it can take some time to develop symptoms, so unless they've had the fish for while before they gave it to you, there would be no way to know. Fish brokers don't really hold on to the fish long enough to know. That's why the whole 2 week quarantine period is funny, because there are a lot of issues that take longer than 2 weeks to see.

I would treat with prazipro and see what happens. It can't hurt.

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Alright, I'll do that after the water change today.

Not to sound argumentative, but Ernesto was ZeeZ's fish (like, he kept him in a tank with another apisto), the endlers came from Nut's personal endler tank, and the neons were from Rogue's neon/RCS tank. I've definitely gotten fish from transshippers, but none of the fish in this tank came from any. I've treated with PraziPro prophylactically though and I know you do as well so I have no problem treating with it just in case it helps.

I'll keep you all posted! :)

12. Jaysee

Not argumentative at all - i dont know the histories of the fish. Did you add any plants?

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I just always feel bad when people make suggestions and I shoot them all down haha. I haven't added any plants since I set up the tank, actually. The tank originally had two cories from a previous tank, then I added Ernesto (he was in the 55 until I got the 20 set up), then the endlers, then the neons. A few weeks ago I took out the neons and put them in the 55 because they were bullying the endlers and I lost most of them (haven't been able to catch one though; I made a trap but all I caught were endlers and RCS). I did all the planting when I set up the tank a few months ago and haven't add any since then. Well, I relocated two dwarf sags, but they were from my RCS tank that I took down, and that had been set up since March or so with no new additions, so I doubt that's the culprit.

14. Jaysee

It just seems to me like more than just stress. I hope I'm wrong.

15. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I had him for several months, and he showed no problems. In fact, he was the one that was giving Big Daddy a run for his money. Both of them were challenging each other for dominance. They were constantly displaying and showing no signs of disease.

I would not knowingly send anyone any sick fish, snails, shrimp, etc. You've had Ernesto in your care for several months now, so whatever happened, it happened in your tank. From what you've told us, there's not any obvious signs to show how a parasite got into the tank but then again, parasites do tend to just show up out of nowhere.

I agree with the others, I think he's sick in some way, and that is a form of stress itself. Treat him and feed him healthy food like live brine shrimp, garlic bloodworms, etc. I really hope he gets better. After all, you're one of the Exclusive Apisto Trifasciata Owners on Fishlore! ;)

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hey, I was defending you ;) After the water change tonight I'll add some PraziPro and I'm getting some frozen brine shrimp (I've never seen live ones before). I'll keep everyone posted :)

17. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Could it possibly be from feeding live food? Whatever it is, I hope he get's better soon. :)

18. Jaysee

I have heard that they can be introduced with foods, like tubifex worms.

19. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Haha I'm trying to get live food actually :p I've never fed it to any of my fish, but thanks for the suggestion :) I hope so too.

Jaysee, what do you mean?

20. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

It does sound like internal parasites. Do you use equipment from your larger tank in your smaller tank? Parasites can hitch a ride on that and then attack weaker fish. Apistos get sick pretty easy. Also if you added plants, from say PetSmart, you could have gotten some internal Parasites. I would treat with Metronidazole.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice