Can someone confirm these snails

1. jmoneyisback

jmoneyisback Valued Member Member

So when I moved everything from the 10 to the 29 gallon, I thought that I successfully avoided moving any of the many mystery snail babies. Then I found one a couple of weeks ago. Now I found another one. Are these really mystery snails or are they a pest snail that may have traveled on some of the plants I put in there?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

look like pest snails to me.

3. shadowfish

shadowfish Well Known Member Member

i thought my pest snails where mystery snail babys then they took over...
    a close up pic would help more.

4. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Me thinks you have pond snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

The picture looks like a pond snail. Alison

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like Bladder/pond snails. They are considered pest snails and do travel on plants etc.

If you want to get rid of them, find the egg sack and vacuum them up. You can control the new snails by loading an empty water bottle with algae wafers, setting it out overnight to trap the snails and then dispose of them. Or you can keep them - some people like them ;)

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like pond snails to me too.

8. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, pond snails.

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Yep, bladder/pond snails. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

These look like Bladder Snails and even if you love snails you do not want to keep these.

They breed too fast and soon become a pest.

If you love snails and have enough algae on the glass for them to eat I recommend the attractive and long-lived Nerite Snails which do not breed in aquaria (though may lay annoying little infertile eggs on some surfaces).

11. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Any idea where the egg sack might be or what it looks like?

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

They may be hard to see as they are clearish and usually on plants/ornaments/side of tank, etc
    They look like a gelatinous glob - maybe look up pond snail eggs on google for some images. :)

13. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

So when I went home yesterday, the two snails were in the same place as they were in the morning. I'm pretty sure they were dead. My wife disposed of two more this morning...

14. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Basically as Junne said, they look like clear jello, a small glob of it raised maybe 1/8" off the surface of whatever theyre on. As the babies develop, youll begin to see little white spots in the goo. Theyre annoying to scrape off, its like theyre made of super glue. Make sure you have the siphon right on them as you scrape them, otherwise youll lose them and theyll just spread around more.