Can Someone Clearly Explain Dgh/kgh For Me?

gray_matter16

I'm getting frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a standard out there for describing, calculating or reporting on GH and KH versus ppm. Can someone please give me a diagram or clearly explain this to me?

- I have heard 1 dGH = 17.9 ppm, is this accurate?
- My test kit instructions use [degrees symbol], is this equivalent to dGH/dKH?
- Also in my test kit instructions, the dGH scale is the same as the dKH scale, is that right?
- Is there a difference between gH/kH and dGH/dKH?
- When I see other threads posting water hardness values, they rarely post the unit of measure. For example, if someone says their GH = 6, do they mean 6 dGH? Which would be 17.9*6 = 107 ppm? Do I have this right?

Chanyi

Yes you have everything right.

gH = 6 is the same as 6 degrees of gH.
gH = 160ppm is ~ 9 degrees gH (160ppm / 17.9 = 8.94)

Momgoose56

- I have heard 1 dGH = 17.9 ppm, is this accurate?
- My test kit instructions use [degrees symbol], is this equivalent to dGH/dKH?
- Also in my test kit instructions, the dGH scale is the same as the dKH scale, is that right?
- Is there a difference between gH/kH and dGH/dKH?
- When I see other threads posting water hardness values, they rarely post the unit of measure. For example, if someone says their GH = 6, do they mean 6 dGH? Which would be 17.9*6 = 107 ppm? Do I have this right?
1. "1 dGH = 17.9 ppm, is this accurate?"
YES and 1 dKH = 17.9 ppm
2. "My test kit instructions use [degrees symbol], is this equivalent to dGH/dKH?"
YES
3."Also in my test kit instructions, the dGH scale is the same as the dKH scale, is that right?"
YES
4. "Is there a difference between gH/kH and dGH/dKH?"
Yes there is a difference. The "d" stands for "degree" and refers to the fact that you are using the "degree" scale. So if you get a measurement of 4 dGH it is the same as 71.6 (ppm)GH.
5. "...if someone says their GH = 6, do they mean 6 dGH? Which would be 17.9*6 = 107 ppm? Do I have this right?"
YES But technically if they mean dGH, it should be expressed as dGH rather than GH. With a number is that small, when measuring hardness though, it is usually assumed the publisher is referring to "degrees" rather than "ppm".

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
toosie
Replies
Views
scottishduck
Replies
Views
TropicALI
Replies
Views