can someone clarify for me?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

we bought one gourami and were doing research ( yes, too late. sorry. know better now) and it said they liked to pair off and would be less chicken with a buddy. so we ran out the next day and bought another. they were both male - my 11yo named them Detroit and tiger since they were orange and blue :)

then I heard if you want two, they have to be gotten from the same tank at the same store at the same time.
    we did get them same tank, same store, but not same day.
    then I heard not two males in the tank as they will fight.

they seemed like they were buddies and less chicken with the other around. they both hid in the cobabmba.

one day, one got DGD and didn't live thru the day.
    I never saw any aggression or fighting- they seemed happy together.

now I am hesitant to get another if they really will fight?

there is so much conlicting information-- can someone clarify this for me?

thanks

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Gourami are much like a Betta as in they are unpredictable with their aggression.

i wouldn't get another male just because of the uncertainty that is there.

i like my DG but I wouldn't add another male and hope for the best.

3. TJBender Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do it. DGs are one of the more aggressive types of gourami, and they do not like to be around their own kind. Stick with the single male you have.

4. k9z3boys Member Member

thank you both for clarifying :)

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

DGD? Not familiar with that acronym.

I would say keep it single. When people talk about DGs pairing off, first off, they are male/female pairs, and they are in tanks conducive to multiple DG housings. I personally would never have more than one male per tank, and would only add a male/female pair for breeding purposes.

6. k9z3boys Member Member

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, iridovirus. It tends to take longer than a day to kill and is very distinctive...