Can softwood plywood be used to build a tank?

LadfromLondon
I have enough wood left over from projects to build a 100+ gallon tank. It is labelled as 'structural softwood plywood' and is for exterior panels. If sealed to be waterproof etc, can I use this as an aquarium?

Here's the link to the wood.

chromedome52
18mm is just a bit thin to use for building a large tank. However, if you don't go too tall, it could work. I would look at some youtube tutorials on building plywood tanks first.

JPH1970
Ok...how do you build a tank out of wood?

Stripedbass
Maybe if you put some kind of fiberglass on the inside. Kind of like a reverse boat. The only problem with the ply wood is once that stuff gets wet it will warp and buckle. I’ve left it on jobs nailed every 16” and it still warped up.

JPH1970
Stripedbass said:
Maybe if you put some kind of fiberglass on the inside. Kind of like a reverse boat. The only problem with the ply wood is once that stuff gets wet it will warp and buckle. I’ve left it on jobs nailed every 16” and it still warped up.
The tank frame is made out of the plywood??

Stripedbass
JPH1970 said:
The tank frame is made out of the plywood??
I’m just talking general construction. Plywood and water don’t go together well at all. Boats are wood wrapped in fiberglass and they hold together but will rot out eventually. Plus once you buy the fiberglass you might as well buy a tank.

chromedome52
Polyurethane will seal up a plywood tank quite nicely, as will any good marine paint. The trick is in the construction. You have to make sure the joints can't pull apart. And even after sealing with fiberglass, a large 8 foot plywood tank is still cheaper than the same size of glass or acrylic tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom