Can Snails Have Worms?

Kathryn Crook
Can snails have worms? I’m asking for a friend, seriously. She thought she got mystery snails, but the pic I saw looked like a rabbit snail, but I know nothing about those snails. She says her snails died. Ive never heard of snails having worms. Really curious what you guys think.

Ddogg2287
I have heard of snails having parasites, but its not common to my knowledge. Depending on how long the snail was in the tank, the snail could have been poisoned by something like nitrate build up or toxic metals. Also certain ferts used for plants can have metals that can harm inverts

Kathryn Crook
I have heard of snails having parasites, but its not common to my knowledge. Depending on how long the snail was in the tank, the snail could have been poisoned by something like nitrate build up or toxic metals. Also certain ferts used for plants can have metals that can harm inverts
She showed me a couple pics of, what looked like, an alien invasion of worms around this (presumedly) dead snail. It was trully creepy. She said she bought the snails the day before at a local pet store and they were dead in a day with all these worms and filthy water in one night. Does any parasite do that with snails? I don't know her water perameters or any other details.

A_School_of_Sharks
Yes, there are a variety of nematodes (roundworms) and helminths (flatworms) that use snails as an intermediate and primary host. Is there any way you can get the pictures uploaded? I am very curious what their anatomy specifies...

Until then, I would tell her to error on the side of caution. Many species, Including Schistosomes, will infect humans to complete its life cycle (although visibly seeing them tells me it is probably not them...)

Kathryn Crook
Yes, there are a variety of nematodes (roundworms) and helminths (flatworms) that use snails as an intermediate and primary host. Is there any way you can get the pictures uploaded? I am very curious what their anatomy specifies...

Until then, I would tell her to error on the side of caution. Many species, Including Schistosomes, will infect humans to complete its life cycle (although visibly seeing them tells me it is probably not them...)
She said same thing, and as soon as she saw the worms, she took out the snails and threw them away. I will try to get her to post the pics here. She got really worried.

Harlee

02ECFBB9-85D9-4D64-BCA8-54A14DF09D36.jpeg
96177C13-8A57-452C-9D3B-B878A16B3ECA.jpeg These are the only two pics I have. It was a small breeding tank. I got home the day after I got them and the tank was filthy and there was those things worms all over. I hope these pics help. The tank also really stunk. Thanks for posting this thread for me !

A_School_of_Sharks
Those look like a Nematode species of some kind. Have you seen them free-swimming? If so, it may indicate these are opportunistic Nematodes that are both free-living and parasitic.

If this is not the case however, it would indicate these are L3 larvae, and are in the infective stage of development. The problem with Nematodes, is the worm itself can be difficult to distinguish in age. This is simply due to the anatomy of different ages being similar in shape. I suspect these are L3 larvae, because they are simply much larger than their supposed host. Fascinating.

r5n8xaw00
That is gross, worms in snails. Who would have thought.

Harlee
Those look like a Nematode species of some kind. Have you seen them free-swimming? If so, it may indicate these are opportunistic Nematodes that are both free-living and parasitic.

If this is not the case however, it would indicate these are L3 larvae, and are in the infective stage of development. The problem with Nematodes, is the worm itself can be difficult to distinguish in age. This is simply due to the anatomy of different ages being similar in shape. I suspect these are L3 larvae, because they are simply much larger than their supposed host. Fascinating.
What is L3 larvae ? Is it harmful ?

That is gross, worms in snails. Who would have thought.
I know (

Brizburk
So the question is - go to kill the worms? Can my MS and my Nerite get them? I noticed today that I too have these. I’m trapping snails but that doesn’t solve the parasite ussue

Kathryn Crook
So the question is - go to kill the worms? Can my MS and my Nerite get them? I noticed today that I too have these. I’m trapping snails but that doesn’t solve the parasite ussue
Snails don't eat worms.
But this issue was about Harlee possibly having a contaminated snail with parasitic worms from the LFS.

Your worms are possibly detritus. Got a picture?

Are your snails dying?

Brizburk
My MS snail is dying. But I see lots of worms just like OP photos and now see one on my Nerite. So how to treat the tank and kill the worms but not the snails/fish

Kathryn Crook
My MS snail is dying. But I see lots of worms just like OP photos and now see one on my Nerite. So how to treat the tank and kill the worms but not the snails/fish
Make another thread asking for help. This one is kinda old now. Id really like to see you get some help but idk how to help you. I would definitely remove any effected snails first tho.

Brizburk
Make another thread asking for help. This one is kinda old now. Id really like to see you get some help but idk how to help you. I would definitely remove any effected snails first tho.

I made one, thank you . Ill post about it all since there doesn’t seem to be much info about it

Kathryn Crook
I made one, thank you . Ill post about it all since there doesn’t seem to be much info about it
Good luck! I know there are treatments out there but idk what their safety is for your critters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Top Bottom