Can single tail goldfish and guppies live together?

sharpiepaws

i was thinking of getting a comet or shubunkin goldfish and i was wondering if they'd be good with guppies? red gold tuxedo/blonde delta guppies in specific. will the goldfish out compete them for food? will the goldfish eat THEM as food? is it even possible for the water temperature to be comfortable for both of them? i was thinking of having the temp at about 72-73F but i don't know if that's too hot for the goldfish i don't want to speed up their metabolism too much... thanks

Best Answer - View MomeWrath's answer

MomeWrath

Well Known
Lots of people make lots of different things work. However, I just got a goldfish for my pond from someone on Craiglist a couple of months ago who was giving it away for free because it was eating her guppies. I personally wouldn't try it. Plus a comet or shubunkin can potentially grow quite large and would certainly eat guppies in time, nevermind that they would need a large aquarium to be comfortable indoors.

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

MomeWrath said:
Lots of people make lots of different things work. However, I just got a goldfish for my pond from someone on Craiglist a couple of months ago who was giving it away for free because it was eating her guppies. I personally wouldn't try it. Plus a comet or shubunkin can potentially grow quite large and would certainly eat guppies in time, nevermind that they would need a large aquarium to be comfortable indoors.
understood. thank you. are there any other fish that would work well with goldfish or should i just stick to goldfish only?

MomeWrath

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
understood. thank you. are there any other fish that would work well with goldfish or should i just stick to goldfish only?
I don't know what you can get where you live, but if you keep your water clean a weather loach can live happily in the same temps as goldfish. My goldfish live outside in a little trough-pond, but really I have no need for other fish. They are so friendly and engaging I don't know if I would have eyes for anything else :)

Mii

sharpiepaws said:
You could try a Bristlenose Pleco they both should do ok at about 72F. Definitely don't go below 72 as that will be too cold for the pleco, i wouldn't go too much above it either for the Goldie's sake.

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

MomeWrath said:
I don't know what you can get where you live, but if you keep your water clean a weather loach can live happily in the same temps as goldfish. My goldfish live outside in a little trough-pond, but really I have no need for other fish. They are so friendly and engaging I don't know if I would have eyes for anything else :)
i was actually looking at weather loaches earlier when trying to decide what to get! i'll keep them high on my mind thank you ^_^
Mii said:
You could try a Bristlenose Pleco they both should do ok at about 72F. Definitely don't go below 72 as that will be too cold for the pleco, i wouldn't go too much above it either for the Goldie's sake.
ooo i love those!! i'll consider them too thank you!

jkkgron2

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
i was thinking of getting a comet or shubunkin goldfish and i was wondering if they'd be good with guppies? red gold tuxedo/blonde delta guppies in specific. will the goldfish out compete them for food? will the goldfish eat THEM as food? is it even possible for the water temperature to be comfortable for both of them? i was thinking of having the temp at about 72-73F but i don't know if that's too hot for the goldfish i don't want to speed up their metabolism too much... thanks
My goldfish eats anything that can fit in it’s mouth so unless you end up getting a stunted Goldie or a fancy variety I wouldn’t go for guppies. What tank size is this going to be?

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

jkkgron2 said:
My goldfish eats anything that can fit in it’s mouth so unless you end up getting a stunted Goldie or a fancy variety I wouldn’t go for guppies. What tank size is this going to be?
i REALLY hope this doesn't come off as horrible to say but i was planning on stunting the goldie yes. i don't have the resources to take care of a fish that big and from what i've been reading stunting them doesn't hurt them as long as i stay on top of their water quality and keep it well maintained (which i do plan on doing obviously hghaj). please correct me if i'm wrong tho if i am i'll go for a fantail. and it's going to be either a 20 or 29 gal tank haven't decided yet.

jkkgron2

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
i REALLY hope this doesn't come off as horrible to say but i was planning on stunting the goldie yes. i don't have the resources to take care of a fish that big and from what i've been reading stunting them doesn't hurt them as long as i stay on top of their water quality and keep it well maintained (which i do plan on doing obviously hghaj). please correct me if i'm wrong tho if i am i'll go for a fantail. and it's going to be either a 20 or 29 gal tank haven't decided yet.
I get what you mean but.. not the greatest idea. IMO it’s just not humane for the fish. In a 29 gal you could have two fancy goldfish if you wanted. Also it’s pretty hard to stunt a Goldie.. I had two in a 10g a long time ago and they still grew to six inches. But a 29 is perfect for two fancy goldfish (who also can tolerate higher temps) and then a school of White Cloud Mountain minnows? They’re what’s usually recommended as goldie tankmates and are very hardy.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
Hi! I hope this doesn’t sound rude but if you don’t have the resources to care for a goldfish don’t get one. Stunting ABSOLUTELY harms them. It can cut their lifespan in half if not in quarters. And even if they do live for a long time they will suffer many issues because of it.

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

jkkgron2 said:
I get what you mean but.. not the greatest idea. IMO it’s just not humane for the fish. In a 29 gal you could have two fancy goldfish if you wanted. Also it’s pretty hard to stunt a Goldie.. I had two in a 10g a long time ago and they still grew to six inches. But a 29 is perfect for two fancy goldfish (who also can tolerate higher temps) and then a school of White Cloud Mountain minnows? They’re what’s usually recommended as goldie tankmates and are very hardy.
JEEZ big guys hehehe. and yea... i was worried about whether it'd be humane for them which was why i did so much research to see if it'd be healthy, but i'd rather to be safe than sorry for my fishes' sake. i was looking at those minnows earlier too! i'll keep them in high consideration thank you :)

Mii

sharpiepaws said:
i was actually looking at weather loaches earlier when trying to decide what to get! i'll keep them high on my mind thank you ^_^

ooo i love those!! i'll consider them too thank you!
Another option is dojo loaches might work

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

CaptainAquatics said:
Hi! I hope this doesn’t sound rude but if you don’t have the resources to care for a goldfish don’t get one. Stunting ABSOLUTELY harms them. It can cut their lifespan in half if not in quarters. And even if they do live for a long time they will suffer many issues because of it.
no it doesn't sound rude at all!! i really appreciate the input :) i hope I'M not coming off as rude but why is it that so many of the longest living goldfish were stunted? what exactly about it harms them and what issues does it cause?

Mii

sharpiepaws said:
no it doesn't sound rude at all!! i really appreciate the input :) i hope I'M not coming off as rude but why is it that so many of the longest living goldfish were stunted? what exactly about it harms them and what issues does it cause?
Wait you where talking about common goldfish? NONONONONO firstly stunted growth is caused by the tank not having enough space for them to move around, and the reason it's harmful is because it can result in their organs being the wrong size, as well as them not having room to get enough exercise. SOMETIMES a stunted fish can be fine and live a long life. Emphasis on sometimes.

jkkgron2

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
I’m not sure if this is scientifically proven but many think that they’re organs stop growing but the outside of their body doesn’t, causing internal issues. sometimes they live longer because they do produce less waste but most of The time they die pretty quick if they get stunted.

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

Mii said:
Wait you where talking about common goldfish? NONONONONO firstly stunted growth is caused by the tank not having enough space for them to move around, and the reason it's harmful is because it can result in their organs being the wrong size, as well as them not having room to get enough exercise. SOMETIMES a stunted fish can be fine and live a long life. Emphasis on sometimes.
a comet or a shubunkin, but i'm assuming same logic applies?

jkkgron2

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
Yeah, stunting pretty much occurs in all goldfish, so do the issues that come with it.

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

jkkgron2 said:
Yeah, stunting pretty much occurs in all goldfish, so do the issues that come with it.
got it. sorry U_U def won't do it then

Mii

sharpiepaws said:
When i say "common goldfish" what i mean is any of the larger, slim bodied goldfish. So yes it applies to comet and shubunkin.

jkkgron2

Well Known
sharpiepaws said:
got it. sorry U_U def won't do it then
Don’t apologize! You came on here, researched and asked questions, before making the decision that was best for your fish. You shouldn’t apologize about asking questions

OP
sharpiepaws

sharpiepaws

Mii said:
When i say "common goldfish" what i mean is any of the larger, slim bodied goldfish. So yes it applies to comet and shubunkin.
yea jkkgron2 clarified for me thank you :)
jkkgron2 said:
Don’t apologize! You came on here, researched and asked questions, before making the decision that was best for your fish. You shouldn’t apologize about asking questions
oh ok thank you!! i was worried i was coming off as someone who didn't care about their fish or something hahghfa

MomeWrath

Well Known
You came off as someone looking for information :) No worries on that. I didn't want to assume you didn't know how big single tailed goldfish can get, but I agree a fantail might work better.

Also a weather loach and a dojo loach are the same thing, and also too large for a 29. They can reach 10" and need a 55 gallon tank.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
It seems like everyone has answered for me on what happens to stunted fish. I do agree with it all, what happens is that the body stops growing but the organs keep going (most times) which causes them to essentially collide with each other and then they can’t function. Either that or the reverse happens where the body continues but the Organs stop, causing them to not be able to keep up. Either way it isn’t great. And as for your question on some of the longest living, those were miracles.

Mii

MomeWrath said:
You came off as someone looking for information :) No worries on that. I didn't want to assume you didn't know how big single tailed goldfish can get, but I agree a fantail might work better.

Also a weather loach and a dojo loach are the same thing, and also too large for a 29. They can reach 10" and need a 55 gallon tank.
I didn't know they got 10 inches, I've never kept them because they're coldwater and i don't have a coldwater setup

New Threads