Can Shrimp Grow Back Their Legs?

Aubreew

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My betta liked the shrimp friend I added to his tank a little too much.

I found this guy on the glass above water level! I quickly removed him and into a small quarantine with some aquarium salt to relieve stress on the little guy (and help him heal). He seems to be fine, I assume his tail will heal but does anyone know if it's little legs will grow back? I feel so bad, he was in there just fine for a couple days, hiding in the plants and happily eating away.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of shrimp is that? Some are sensitive to salt, its not the greatest to just throw salt at any issue. I haven't had one regrow legs, but tannins will help stave off bacterial infections. I'd remove the salt, it would only help shrimp if they have vorticella, or sometimes bacterial infections, but I've never heard of it relieving stress in shrimp...

Aubreew

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
What kind of shrimp is that? Some are sensitive to salt, its not the greatest to just throw salt at any issue. I haven't had one regrow legs, but tannins will help stave off bacterial infections. I'd remove the salt, it would only help shrimp if they have vorticella, or sometimes bacterial infections, but I've never heard of it relieving stress in shrimp...
It's a wildtype cherry shrimp. It was a very small amount of salt and I only left him in that for about 20mins (in my mind I was thinking to prevent a bacterial infection). He's in with just some Indian almond leaf now. Unfortunate about his leg...it doesn't seem to affect his swimming or general moving about though.

You are right about the salt though! In general, it's not good to just throw meds at a fish because you think its a good idea. I definitely should have stopped for a second and gave it some thought as shrimp are really new territory for me!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I though you were adding salt to a temporary container for a long period. Cherries are actually pretty salt resistant, my bad, they can survive some pretty concentrated salt dips for a period of time. I wouldn't worry about his leg, to be honest, it probably won't impair him at all. Do you have somewhere else you can move him to? Shrimp are a great part of the hobby, I'm glad you joined the movement lol.

Aubreew

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rtessy said:
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I though you were adding salt to a temporary container for a long period. Cherries are actually pretty salt resistant, my bad, they can survive some pretty concentrated salt dips for a period of time. I wouldn't worry about his leg, to be honest, it probably won't impair him at all. Do you have somewhere else you can move him to? Shrimp are a great part of the hobby, I'm glad you joined the movement lol.
No, no, you're fine! I'm sorry, my post was a bit vague! Yes, I have more shrimp in with some platy that don't bother them at all. I put this shrimp in with the betta alone because I wasn't sure how he would react. I actually had some ghost shrimp with a betta a long time ago but he ate them. I should have know this betta would be the same lol

75g Discus Tank said:
If he gets enough nutrition, he will molt soon and his legs will start to grow.
Do you have any suggestions on extra nutritious stuff to feed shrimp?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honestly I don't feed them anything super special, they get a mix of algae wafers, cichlid food, goldfish food, and some little shrimp pellets. Most of their food is biofilm off of plants, and the rest is mostly anything else I have on hand. If you can get some, they love fresh veggies like blanched spinach and kale, and that also provides them with calcium. And I tried keeping one with a betta I'm looking after because he seemed chill, and he was chill, he would be lounging somewhere and the shrimp would be right next to him and he wouldn't care... then bam he ate him three weeks later.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I give my shrimp hikari shrimp pellets. I don’t use them often because I like to leave excessive algae in the tank for them, but since yours is in a cup, the pellets might not be so bad.
Image1525660749.812192.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've heard a lot of good things about that food, and before you worry I think it has some copper listed in the ingredients but it's a non harmful form.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
I've heard a lot of good things about that food, and before you worry I think it has some copper listed in the ingredients but it's a non harmful form.
It's funny because I actually made a thread about that when I first bought it. The sticker even cuts it off "Include Usable Copper Req-"

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, I've seen a lot of threads and debates for quite a while over it, and they probably won't stop anytime soon. I mean, not blaming anyone because if I bought some high quality shrimp food and found out there was copper in it, I'd freak.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah but usually if it's anything ABOVE .40 ppm it'll kill 'em then! Yeah Shrimp Cuisine's really good. Heard that Rob from Flip Aquatics supplements that to all of his shrimp quite frequently.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There are actually some studies that suggest pure elemental copper is very dangerous at 0.003%, which would suck because most copper test kits don't go that low. And hey, dude I always watch Rob too! A fellow fan! I haven't been watching recently, do you know if Geo is ok? (sorry to go way off track OP)

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My shrimp are cannibals, their favorite food is the shirimp pellets I feed the coreys. I drop them in and the shrimp all swarm and run off with a pellet. They are totally fearless, they'll go right up to a fish and steal the pellet right from under them. You'd think shrimp would be a little more afraid of fish!

I stopped feeding them anything special, I figure between algae growth and the food they steal from the corys they're probably getting plenty to teat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom