can sand cause a scratch problem on aquarium glass?

bubbles135

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, so i'm thinking about getting sand for substrate. someone told me i shouldn't use sand because it will scratch up the aquarium glass. is this true? i want to get sand substrate because i'm thinking about getting a golden dojo loach. also, is sand okay for goldfish? i've heard yes and no's for this question. should pool filter sand be okay for the loach? i don't want the sand to hurt his barbels. one last question: has anyone had any success growing plants in sand? and if so, what kind? thanks

Fitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No I don't think it hurts the glass or acrylic. And yes pool filter sand is fine for goldfish. I would know because I have it with my goldfish. He likes to pick up the sand and get all the food out of it, and then spit it back out. Also Yes sand is actually better for loaches(if your talking about kuhli loaches, not sure about others) And I haven't tried to put plants in sand yet but I really want to sometime in the future. Hope this helps.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, so i'm thinking about getting sand for substrate. someone told me i shouldn't use sand because it will scratch up the aquarium glass. is this true? i want to get sand substrate because i'm thinking about getting a golden dojo loach. also, is sand okay for goldfish? i've heard yes and no's for this question. should pool filter sand be okay for the loach? i don't want the sand to hurt his barbels. one last question: has anyone had any success growing plants in sand? and if so, what kind? thanks
Gravel and sand may cause minor scratches on the bottom of the tank. Gravel tends to cause more scratches because people have to dig into the gravel to clean it and with sand you just move the vacuum over it.

Pool filter sand is what everyone in the forum seems to recommend.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sure if you got sand on an algae scrubber or something and rubbed it on the glass it would scratch it. And acrylic is very easy to scratch. I scrubbed out an acrylic sump with a green plastic kitchen scrubber and created a scratchy haze all over it. Just be careful when you are cleaning your tank. It's very common to use sand in a tank and under normal circumstances, it won't damage your tank. Most people use pool filter sand. I’ve used play sand with great results.

You can grow plants in sand. If you want to add nutrients for the plants you can get some root tabs. As far as which plants, I have had every plant I have in sand at one point or another. The top left tank in my signature is play sand and the plants do great.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just be careful when cleaning the glass.

I use a sponge insert from an Aquaclear filter to clean my glass and I have many scratches on many tanks from getting a little sand on the sponge and continuing to clean the glass. (I am a slow learner I suppose) Other than that I have no problems.

Brian

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just be careful when cleaning the glass.

I use a sponge insert from an Aquaclear filter to clean my glass and I have many scratches on many tanks from getting a little sand on the sponge and continuing to clean the glass. (I am a slow learner I suppose) Other than that I have no problems.

Brian

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your careful you should not have to any problems with scratching the glass, I have sand in 3 tanks and only have scratches on 1 where I got help cleaning it :S I have more scratches on my acrylic tank than any other but that is because of the ceramic media that came with the tank

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your careful you should not have to any problems with scratching the glass, I have sand in 3 tanks and only have scratches on 1 where I got help cleaning it :S I have more scratches on my acrylic tank than any other but that is because of the ceramic media that came with the tank

Very true...... although the sand scratched the glass with what I said above it was the moron doing the cleaning that was the cause.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom