Can Saltwater Mollies Adapt Back to Freshwater?

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got my roommate two mollies as a Christmas gift (REALLY late!). The store said they needed salt, so I am assuming they were kept in salinated water at the store. I have read on this forum that mollies don't NEED salt anymore, but I was wondering, if these fish have been raised in salinated water, will they always need salt, or can they adapt to complete freshwater? If they can adapt, what would be the best way to do that? They are going to go into my roommate's 10 gallon community tank if possible. Otherwise, we can probably get them their own tank, but I hope we don't have to (they are currently being floated in QT. I put a little bit of salt in the QT tank already, but not the full amount).

Izabela

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you have a community tank, I personally would not salinate the tank. Mollies can easily adapt to live in a pure freshwater tank. Just slowly decrease the amount of salt they have. I started my mollies with some salt, but because I added catfish and other fish, I simply did not supplement my partial water changes with salt. So how much salt is in the Q tank and how big is it?

Izabela

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I truly doubt that the store kept them in a salinated tank but you could call and ask.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a good friend who has a lovely tank in the hospital that he cares for and he has a lot of fish, including mollies in there and they do just fine with NO salt at all.

Rose

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've been prawling the web for this for a while now and there's 2 schools of thought on this: 1/ only use salt to medicate your mollies if they're unwell 2/ always use some salt with your mollies.

From their behaviour, my mollies definitely like to have a little bit of salt. It also acts as an slight protection against infections. But, they seemed reasonably OK before the salt (now they're just really well, and before, they were well). If you have other fish in the tank who can't take a bit of salt, and if your mollies are fine, then it's a case of 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?'

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When Mollies first came into the hobby they were wild caught and did come from a slightly salty environment and it was very definately important to put some salt into their tanks. But over the years they have been aquarium bred for so many generations that most people don't add the salt any more and the stores that are on centralized systems certainly don't keep them in salty conditions. One of the things that have to be watched for is fluctuations in salinity. As water evaporates the salinity gets higher (salt doesn't evaporate, just the water does). When doing water changes salt measured just for what is being put back in is measured and mixed well before adding to the tank.
If your Mollies seem to be in better condition when using salt then by all means do whats best for your fish. thats what this hobby is all about
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom