10 Gallon Tank Can Salt and Pepper Cories live happily with this substrate? Or do I need to change it?

• Thread starter Chewbacca773
  • Start date

Chewbacca773

I'm planning to stock my 10 gallon with 2 peacock gudgeons and 6 salt and pepper cories this is the substrate below. Do I need to change it? (sorry for bad picture)
WIN_20200811_18_50_21_Pro.jpg

AquaticQueen

Well Known
It may be a little big. Can you post a more close up picture of it please? :)

Chewbacca773

Here you go
WIN_20200811_21_33_10_Pro.jpg

AquaticQueen

Well Known
It may be a bit too big for them. I would probably go for a sand substrate or a smaller gravel.

Chewbacca773

Could I just pick through and remove all the large pieces? Also, are peppered cories the same thing as salt and pepper cories?

Megaanemp

Well Known
Chewbacca773 said:
Could I just pick through and remove all the large pieces? Also, are peppered cories the same thing as salt and pepper cories?
They would be much better off on sand. Gravel may damage their barbels possibly leading to infection. Plus sand adds enrichment by giving something they’re strong enough to dig through.

Chewbacca773

Megaanemp said:
They would be much better off on sand. Gravel may damage their barbels possibly leading to infection. Plus sand adds enrichment by giving something they’re strong enough to dig through.
That makes sense. Thank You!

Derek88242

I redid my tank and switched from gravel to sand just for my corries. They appear to love it and if you can I would say it's worth the effort to switch to sand. They can also thrive on gravel though.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Salt and Pepper Cories really appear to be an hit and mis in smaller tanks. Not only for myself but over years there have been countless threads about them not doing well. Personally I wouldn't buy them (and in fact not any cory for a 10G : sorry).

But that's my personal idea.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Chewbacca773 said:
peppered = Corydoras paleatus
salt and pepper = Corydoras habrosus

The size of the gravel pieces is not the problem, it's the space between them, where waste and detritus can form a bacteria rich environment. Putting their faces in there all the time confronts them with loads of pathogens each time and they do that all the time. If the gravel is also coarse small fissures and wounds on the barbels get infected - They lose their barbels, can't feed anymore and die from starvation. It can go as far as losing the whole snout!

That said: If one uses sand that is also too coarse the same can happen. I just lost 10 C. habrosus due to this and a hardness/pH-Issue in a timeframe from February until last week. So look for sand that is as fine and as rounded as possible.
Brands don't matter, the properties count.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
MacZ said:
peppered = Corydoras paleatus
salt and pepper = Corydoras habrosus

The size of the gravel pieces is not the problem, it's the space between them, where waste and detritus can form a bacteria rich environment. Putting their faces in there all the time confronts them with loads of pathogens each time and they do that all the time. If the gravel is also coarse small fissures and wounds on the barbels get infected - They lose their barbels, can't feed anymore and die from starvation. It can go as far as losing the whole snout!

That said: If one uses sand that is also too coarse the same can happen. I just lost 10 C. habrosus due to this and a hardness/pH-Issue in a timeframe from February until last week. So look for sand that is as fine and as rounded as possible.
Brands don't matter, the properties count.
Had mine two batches of 15 each on fine sand. All died for mystrious reasons (50 litre tank). And as said I am not the only one loosong rhis favourite Corys.

CorydorasCats

I have this gravel which is quite large and they are absolutely fine and loving life :)

Edit: although if I was starting from scratch I would definitely get sand.. but since you already have it set up I know that the thought of having to take everything down and change out the substrate is not a fun one!

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
CorydorasCats said:
I have this gravel which is quite large and they are absolutely fine and loving life :)

Edit: although if I was starting from scratch I would definitely get sand.. but since you already have it set up I know that the thought of having to take everything down and change out the substrate is not a fun one!
Only thing is your Corys are quite different than the mentioned C.habrosus and so is the tanksize I suppose.

I have earlier stated that I would earlier keep bigger Corys in smaller tanks (50 litre) and gravel (one of my tanks has gravel) than the so called "nano types" .

Chewbacca773

CorydorasCats said:

I compared your picture to a picture on the internet...they don't look like salt and pepper cories.

imavuyfuyfuhgguhbes.jpg

CorydorasCats

Huh? My corys are Sterbai corys.. I was just saying about the gravel :) that they are fine with it!

Chewbacca773

CorydorasCats said:
Huh? My corys are Sterbai corys.. I was just saying about the gravel :) that they are fine with it!
Oh...that makes sense

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
CorydorasCats said:
And a different species, which is WHY they are fine with it.

CorydorasCats

MacZ said:
And a different species, which is WHY they are fine with it.
Oh so depending on the type of Cory depends on if they’ll do fine on different substrates? I never really thought about that I am still a novice so just speaking from my own experience :)

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
At least between the bigger and smaller species. C. Habrosus only grow to 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of your C. sterbai.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Hahahaha didn't make myself too clear.
apologies

Chewbacca773

CorydorasCats said:

Since I didn't put a thick enough layer of substrate originally, I am just going to take everything out and push the gravel into the sand, and then layer more sand on top.

CorydorasCats

Chewbacca773 said:
Since I didn't put a thick enough layer of substrate originally, I am just going to take everything out and push the gravel into the sand, and then layer more sand on top.
That’s a good idea! They will definitely enjoy sifting through the sand :) they are adorable little things!

Top Bottom