Can Safe Start be split?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by lobstahlights, Jul 15, 2015.

1. l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

Can I buy a big bottle and use it for multiple tanks? How and how long can I store it?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Tetra recommends that you do not split a bottle. I think this is probably due to not knowing that the bacteria is evenly distributed within the bottle. And while I don't recommend splitting the bottle, to answer your second question, there is an expiration date on the bottle.

3. OP
    OP
    l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

Ah, okay. The bigger bottle is actually a few cents cheaper (because of Amazon reasons?) would it be a problem if I used too much?

4. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

I could be wrong but I don't think you could use too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

You can't overdose on TSS, any and all bacteria you can get from it is a plus and any surplus will die off and cause no problems.

That said, I wouldn't split TSS. Yes, it expires.

6. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

It won't be an issue if you use too much BB. I did read somewhere people day that TSS will expire approximately 6 months after the bottle has been opened, just one issue with that, TSS for some reason doesn't come with a safety seal so you never know 100% if the bottle has been opened or not.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice