Can Red Cherry Shrimp go in? Question 

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 53L tank/pond and it has been filtering for only two weeks and the algae population is insane! I plan to put Platys and Guppies in once it has been going for 2 months. Can RCS go in right now?

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
It really depends on whether or not your tank has been cycled. When your tank is finished, then there shouldn't be a problem with RCS with guppies and platys. However, keeping in mind that RCS are technically lower on the food chain and the fish might try to eat them. But if you provide hiding spots they should be fine with no problem.

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I mean can I get RCS before the cycle has finished to clean the tank/pond...there is so much!

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think they should be okay as long as you don't go insane with how many you add. They have a small bioload so there won't be a crazy ammonia spike. But if you're adding those cycling kickstart solutions that have a bunch of ammonia in them, then I would advise against the shrimp. Also for algae its best to clean them by hand too bc the more algae you have the faster theyll grow.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would vote against adding RCS to an uncycled tank it's usually a good rule to have a pretty well established cycled tank of 3 or so months before adding shrimp. If you have any Ramshorn, Bladder, or Pond snails i would add those instead to help with some cleaning. Also manual removal of algae is usually the best solution instead of relying on inhabitants to take care of it for you. We are the best algae cleaners for our tanks :)

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
Strongly agree with the snail idea. Based on conversion tracking on a 15 gal approx. sized tank. Too small for plecos, even bristlenose it's gonna be cramped. May look at 3 or 4 Otocinclus catfish. They're good general cleaners and GREAT for plants if you go live, which I would recommend with shrimp.

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the replies!
Eric14123456789 said:
I think they should be okay as long as you don't go insane with how many you add. They have a small bioload so there won't be a crazy ammonia spike. But if you're adding those cycling kickstart solutions that have a bunch of ammonia in them, then I would advise against the shrimp. Also for algae its best to clean them by hand too bc the more algae you have the faster theyll grow.
I just put chemical water conditioner in it.
kallililly1973 said:
I would vote against adding RCS to an uncycled tank it's usually a good rule to have a pretty well established cycled tank of 3 or so months before adding shrimp. If you have any Ramshorn, Bladder, or Pond snails i would add those instead to help with some cleaning. Also manual removal of algae is usually the best solution instead of relying on inhabitants to take care of it for you. We are the best algae cleaners for our tanks :)
So, if I scrub algae off the walls, the filter will suck it up? Or doi somehow have to catch the little particles?
altwitch said:
Strongly agree with the snail idea. Based on conversion tracking on a 15 gal approx. sized tank. Too small for plecos, even bristlenose it's gonna be cramped. May look at 3 or 4 Otocinclus catfish. They're good general cleaners and GREAT for plants if you go live, which I would recommend with shrimp.
16 gallons. I am getting a few platys and guppies and RCS.
So snails wouldn't be bothered by the tank not being cycled?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GoldfishNatalie said:
So, if I scrub algae off the walls, the filter will suck it up? Or doi somehow have to catch the little particles?
Yes the filter will suck it in and if there are any large pieces just remove them with scissors or manually pulling it off with your fingers. As some call the snails i mentioned "pests" they are actually really good cleaners and as long as you don't overfeed your tank you will not be overrun by them.
Just a heads up if your planning on adding a few guppies and platys to your tank you may want to consider a back up plan if you get any females they are live bearers and will most likely drop fry and being in a 16 it will soon be overrun with a ton of fry in no time. Ask me how i know ;)

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Yes the filter will suck it in and if there are any large pieces just remove them with scissors or manually pulling it off with your fingers. As some call the snails i mentioned "pests" they are actually really good cleaners and as long as you don't overfeed your tank you will not be overrun by them.
Just a heads up if your planning on adding a few guppies and platys to your tank you may want to consider a back up plan if you get any females they are live bearers and will most likely drop fry and being in a 16 it will soon be overrun with a ton of fry in no time. Ask me how i know ;)
And they won't be affected by the cycle not having gone through?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GoldfishNatalie said:
And they won't be affected by the cycle not having gone through?
The snails? The pests are very hardy IME anyways especially ramshorns. I set up a 29 gallon outside this summer and on about the 5th day i added 4 of them and have since moved the tank inside and now have easily 100 if not more along with 12 guppies 10 tiger barbs 5 albino corys and an albino BN pleco. So no i don't believe the snails will be affected.

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
The snails? The pests are very hardy IME anyways especially ramshorns. I set up a 29 gallon outside this summer and on about the 5th day i added 4 of them and have since moved the tank inside and now have easily 100 if not more along with 12 guppies 10 tiger barbs 5 albino corys and an albino BN pleco. So no i don't believe the snails will be affected.
Great! I know where I can get some cheap! Hope Mum'll drive me though, :emoji_fingers_crossed:

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GoldfishNatalie said:
Great! I know where I can get some cheap! Hope Mum'll drive me though, :emoji_fingers_crossed:
Good luck!

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are apple/mystery snails.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont think Mystery/ Apple snails are the right kind you are looking for.

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think kallililly1973 was talking about Ramshorn snails and Pond (bladder) snails.

GoldfishNatalie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay. I will look at those.

altwitch

Valued Member
Reaction score
GoldfishNatalie said:
So snails wouldn't be bothered by the tank not being cycled?
Optimal result comes with cycled tank. The intensity of ammonia then nitrite will kill anything if levels get too high; however, we had snails during our cycle and they did OK. Tank was large enough to dilute the intensity of the chemistry so no promises. You do need some bioload and snails will help provide that; they may be fine or you may lose some depending on chem levels.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom