Can rats eat aquatic plants?

KrissyK24

So I've asked on the rats form on reddit but so far no answers so im going to try asking on here to see if I get any answers. When I trim my aqautic plants, can I feed them to my male rats?

Asomeone

Youd have to get specific with the plant. Then the next question would be...why....rats still tend to need a higher quality diet with things like broccoli, endive, carrots, celery, etc. Theres plenty of plant matter that don't do well for rats so i don't know what would be the point imo. most aquatic plants are not particularly edible. If you wanted to grow something that they could eat I'd suggest sprouting something like bok choy, leeks, or celery. You can route a pump to distribute tank water in a makeshift sprout holder and grow these plants well.

KrissyK24

Asomeone said:
Youd have to get specific with the plant. Then the next question would be...why....rats still tend to need a higher quality diet with things like broccoli, endive, carrots, celery, etc. Theres plenty of plant matter that don't do well for rats so i don't know what would be the point imo. most aquatic plants are not particularly edible. If you wanted to grow something that they could eat I'd suggest sprouting something like bok choy, leeks, or celery. You can route a pump to distribute tank water in a makeshift sprout holder and grow these plants well.
I just wanted to see if it was possible instead of throwing the trimmings away or trying to sell/give it away. I'll never stop giving them broccoli, spinach etc. Just thought I'd could give them a little more variety something like duckweed possibly but I won't chance it unless someone already does it.

Asomeone

I'll give you this study and you can do what you will with it. I highly doubt most people give their pets trimmings but hey maybe you'll write the next study right!

KrissyK24

Asomeone said:
I'll give you this study and you can do what you will with it. I highly doubt most people give their pets trimmings but hey maybe you'll write the next study right!
Thanks but I won't be giving my babies anything that isnt 100% safe I just won't chance it

Asomeone

KrissyK24 said:
Thanks but I won't be giving my babies anything that isnt 100% safe I just won't chance it
I'd tend to agree.

MasterPython

Unless you know your plants are non toxic, have some nutritional value and your tank is healthy don't risk it. Maybe some plants are great food but some might be deadly.

If you wanted to grow herbs or grass with thier roots in the tank those would be safe.

skar

KrissyK24 said:
.I doubt they would even want to try it.
Rats prefer sweets !

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom