Can Rasbora Types Crossbreed? Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Gdpierce79, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

hey! I have 1 lamb chop rasbora and 5 harlequinns. I thought that the lc was just a bully, but I think he is just really horney. Lol. He was chasing the females, and bullying the males. Is there a way for me to stop the aggression? Also, I noticed him chasing and wrapping his tail around the female who is gravid. They were shimmying around together upside down on the bottom of leaves. This is sex, right? Or is it laying eggs? Will it really produce fertile Fish? Is this normal? Thanks.

2. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

I think that it probaly will create fertile fish, as they are subspecies of each other, and seeing how a horse and donkey can breed together, which aren’t the same species, this should turn out better and be similar to dogs. I think the lamb chop rasbora probaly needs some more lamb hop Rasboras , and then he’ll calm down. Your problem is not enough of them.

3. OP
    OP
    Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79 Valued Member Member

Thanks. I know. Ugh. The lfs has 6 unmedicated ones, the others were in a tank with meds, so I took them. One turned out to be a different fish. I am going to add 4 more porkchops when I can go get them. What would the eggs look like?

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Btw, they not subspecies but related species. Subspecies is due to having an isolated population that differs genetically or physically in some way... while different species can still be related, but differ greatly. Eg: horse and donkey, chimps and humans.
    However you could say - not technically correct however - that different races of humans are subspecies of eachother....

They may be able to cross breed, but in most cases the resulting fry/babies are infertile. If for whatever reason they fertile, I'd highly reccomend splitting up the fish so it doesnt 'contaminate' genetically pure stock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice