Can pond snails hatching kill baby ghost shrimp?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by My-Menagerie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. My-MenagerieNew MemberMember

I have a 3.5 gallon tank, about 70 degrees F, with moss balls instead of a filter, it is used exclusively as my nursery for my baby fish. It has been up for months now, and I have used it to successfully raise zebra danio fry, until they were big enough to join their parents.

Then one of my ghost shrimp mothers had eggs, so I put her in the nursery until the baby shrimp hatched, then returned her to her tank.

All was well, the 35 or so shrimp, were doing well. But the tank had allot of algae growth. So I got some small pond snails for it. They cleaned up the algae and laid a bunch of eggs of their own (around 100). They and the shrimp seemed to be fine.

Then the snail eggs hatched, and 2 days later all the ghost shrimp were dead!!! (rather disappointing, my other batches of ghost shimp have made it (I used them as feeder fish))

The baby snails are still fine, but all the shrimp fry are dead, they were about 3-4 mm long and about 2 months old.

Could the hatching of the 100 or so pond snails have caused the sudden death of all the shrimp?

2. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

The pond snails could have raised the bioload that changed the water chemistry and that could be why your shrimplets passed away. Shrimp are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and the boom in population probably effected it. Something similar happened in my biggest tank and nearly killed all my fish luckily I spotted it and managed to rectify the problem which resulted in me having to remove allot of pond snails and now I am managing the population and it hasn't happened again.

You may need to remove some of the ponds they do like to multiply and quite quickly

EDIT forgot to say Welcome to Fishlore :) we are all here to help and hope you enjoy the forum :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Maybe if you have a filter aswell as your moss you won't get as much algae? But I would say that Magoo is right and a hundred little snails pooing everywhere ruined your tanks chemistry.

4. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

You might need a filter if you want to do this again, just in case the water chemistry changes.

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

I would think that your tank was probably ok before and if you had an algae problem in a tank like that I would just clean the glass enough to see, alot of fish will eat algae, not as a primary source but as an option occasionally. I have also known diatoms to grow in the algae which the fish do like to eat as fry.

I would also tend to agree that the pond snails caused the problem of a change in water chemistry due to the population influx. Pond snails are not the best algae eaters at all, if you want to manage algae with snails, use nerites. One in that tank and it will never have algae on the glass again.

6. OP
    OP
    M

My-MenagerieNew MemberMember

Now, if I did get a filter, how do you keep the shrimp fry from getting sucked up?

7. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

You could try putting pantyhose over the intake :)

Welcome to fishlore!

8. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I just have a small bit of my girlfriend's old pair of tights and a few rubber bands. Works a treat :)

9. Lunas

LunasWell Known MemberMember

pond snails dont eat enough algae to use as a cleanup crew they are food and nothing more for loaches and assassins they are useful for softening water too but there are better methods and that is not something you wanted to do with shrimplets. Also shrimp eat algae...

10. OP
    OP
    M

Will kuhli loaches eat pond snails? I already fed some of my pond snails to my danios and betta. And would anything eat adult pond snail? As no that I no longer need them... but I'll keep them before I just smash them.

11. gourami88

gourami88Valued MemberMember

My kuhli's never touched any of the pond snails i've had in my tanks, but i've got some striped loaches and some dwarf (chain) loaches that I have in a 75 gallon tank that I do transfer to any tank that i start seeing pond snails in and they do the trick. If you have a larger tank they can live in on a more permanent basis then that is one option, plus they are quite the little characters on their own.

12. Lunas

LunasWell Known MemberMember

kuhli no danios and betta maybe i have been told betta eat them but neither of my betta seem to daino i dont think they will eat them either so what you will end up with is tanks full of snails who do nothing but multiply. Ramshorn or mts would have been a far far better choice at least they can be controlled easily.

13. OP
    OP
    M

Yeah, I put a few of my Danios in their tank and they gobbled them up really quick! I think I'll just do that with them. Let them breed then feed them to my danios. They seem to love them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice