Can plants grow without fish?

• Thread starter UnknownUser
  • Start date

UnknownUser

Well Known
So I have a ton of plants that are currently tank-less, but they’re in a 5 gallon container with fish water from my old tank that I just took down. I don’t have another tank that they’ll fit in yet but I really don’t want them to die, I absolutely love them especially my red sword. So I was considering setting them up in the 5 gal container and just buying a clip on light for it. I have thrive C. But will plants be okay 1) without being planted in substrate? Everything’s floating right now. I can plant them in some sand if they really need to be planted, though.
2) is thrive c fertilizer enough? Or do they actually need fish waste to survive?
3) how often should I change out the water for them?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Your plants should be fine. How long do you plan to keep them in the 5g? What may happen is while floating the leaves will turn to the light. So you may want to add the metal weights to them so the continue to grow upward. Yes the thrive c should keep them living. Water change for evaporation.

UnknownUser

Well Known
86 ssinit said:
Your plants should be fine. How long do you plan to keep them in the 5g? What may happen is while floating the leaves will turn to the light. So you may want to add the metal weights to them so the continue to grow upward. Yes the thrive c should keep them living. Water change for evaporation.
That’s great, thank you. I’ll definitely get the weights, much easier than cleaning and filling it with sand. They’ll be in the 5g til the next dollar per gallon sale, haha. I’m not spending $50+ for a tank when I can spend $1/gal

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Plants never need fish and don't depend on fish for nutrients in many natural environments and planted tanks. All-in-one fertilizers like Thrive C are designed to be balanced and complete. Try to give them some low light and cooler temperatures, they will last a little while. Plants do deteriorate when not planted though, I wouldn't keep them in there for more than a couple weeks.

UnknownUser

Well Known
-Mak- said:
Plants never need fish and don't depend on fish for nutrients in many natural environments and planted tanks. All-in-one fertilizers like Thrive C are designed to be balanced and complete. Try to give them some low light and cooler temperatures, they will last a little while. Plants do deteriorate when not planted though, I wouldn't keep them in there for more than a couple weeks.
Would you suggest I go for the sand then since it’ll be a few months?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
UnknownUser said:
I'd suggest you plant them as if it were a regular tank then, with good light and flow :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Yes if going months I too would add some sand or gravel and a pair of root tabs.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
I had some crypts floating in my tank while I did a re-scape for a few days and when I re planted them they were all curved and stayed that way for awhile. Just a heads up. I def would weigh them down if you can.

faydout

Well Known
I've been considering finding a 30 long tank and planting it without fish, using tupperware to hold the substrate.

faydout

Well Known
StarGirl said:
I had some crypts floating in my tank
I've had about a handful of crypt Parva floating for almost 2 months now. It's fused itself in with the Ludwigia at the surface. Not even sure how to go about trying to replant it at this point, but it's all gotten really really healthy looking.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
UnknownUser said:
There is another alternative to floating or planting in substrate. I thinned some plants a few weeks ago, and didn't have a home for all of them right away, so I planted them in pots. Some of these are from Keurig hot chocolate cups, and the larger ones had peaches or mandarin oranges in them.

0829201526.jpg

UnknownUser

Well Known
Update: planted the two swords in a wide bowl with sand, some in my new betta tank, and the rest will fit in the second betta tank I’m getting since one just isn’t enough ;) thanks for the help everyone!

Top Bottom