Can Plant Fertilizers Hurt Fish And Shrimp?

TheNacho

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
5
Hi. I recently got some new plants. I got some fertilizers- Profish Micro Green, Profish Macro Nutrition, and Profish Iron+.

Is it safe to use fertilizers in the aquarium? I have a 10 gallon with balloon mollies, shrimps and a pleco, and a 4 gallon with a betta. Can iron hurt them, especially the shrimp?
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
519
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Plant fertilizers made for aquariums are designed to be safe for fish and inverts and are commonly used with such creatures by thousands, maybe millions of people. I'm not familiar with that brand, so I can't speak for it, but it should be safe.
 

JessicaSwanlake

Active Member
Member
Messages
258
Reaction score
133
Location
Illinois
Experience
2 years
If there is copper in it, even super, super, tiny amounts it can be toxic to shrimp. I would stay away from any ferts with copper in them if you have shrimp. NilocG makes a shrimp specific fertilizer (ThriveS) which is what I use in my planted shrimp tank. However, I have heard of people using Flourish which has 0.0001% Copper without issues. But if yours has more than that I wouldn't use it.

Very high amounts of iron could possibly be detrimental to shrimp, but it depends on how much you dose and the amount of iron in the fertilizer. Generally, I think it's just copper you would have to worry about.
 

fa4960

Well Known
Member
Messages
629
Reaction score
552
Location
Bangkok, Thailand
Experience
5 years
Crispii said:
If you're going to do the DIY route, just remember that the fertilizer can leach out ammonia.
DIY fertilizer doesn't leach out ammonia. Where would it come from? I DIY all my fertilizers and ammonia is absolutely not a concern. Also a reason that the old myth of excess fertilizer causing algae is not true. Only ammonia and nutrient imbalance causes algae.
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
4,414
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
the lethal copper toxic level to shrimp is 0.003mg per 1ltr of water even so unless stated its worth dropping the manufacturer a line asking them is it safe, Profish products state on all their products that it is fish safe but nowhere dose it say it is invert safe like others do so i'd check first, I did email the company last week after reading an article in a magazine but have had no reply
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
246
Guests online
3,430
Total visitors
3,676

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom