Can parrot fish live with other cichlids?

1. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

what type of fish are compatible with parrots? my tank is 80 gallon 100 lenght 70 height 44 width it's a tall tank..so i will be able to have some parrots or maybe other cichlids? and do parrots like ph between 7.5-8.0? or should it be higher if i want to house some other cichlids with them.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, I currently have a Blood parrot with an Oscar, a JD and a few straglers-mbuna cichlid fry (now 3 inch cichlids).
    They appear to be fine. The tank is a 140g. The thing is, this Blood parrot was in a tank with one other Blood parrot and killed it. I at one point had the two of them in a tank with some tiger barbs and all did well.
    To answer your question, parrots may do well with their own kind and also with other cichlids or dither fish-which is what the tiger barbs were for.
    Good luck!

3. Charbel Bernaba Initiate Member

My tank is 80 gallon 100 cm lenght 70 cm height and 44 cm width it's a tall tank that's my tank it's housing some community tank fish..and i want to transform it to cichlid tank my filter is a pump in the tank that push water it's like a big filter box on the back of the tank i don't if i should put more filter or it's fine i really need some help right now :/ to be honest i don't know what to start with my tank if i want to transform it to a cichlid i have 2 wood in my tank i don't know if i should take them out and i have 3 plants and sand and under the sand their's feritlizer for pants(im worried that if i get a parrot fish it will dig and eat the fertilizer for the plants it will posion it? and should i put rocks instead of wood? i hope u can help me with all this questions

144550-how-can-i-transform-my-tank-cichild-tank-20140707_171826.jpg

4. Tian Well Known Member Member

5. Blueszz Well Known Member Member

Parrots will dig and uproot your plants, the root tabs won't stay in place either.
    The wood is OK but you need also hiding spots/caves.
    For Blood Parrots I would say 100 cm is a bit short, they prefer length over height and can become huge. One of the members here owns a 10 x 8 inch parrot. Your tank is 4 times this length.
    When it comes to territories length makes things a bit easier for the fish IMHO

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would suggest that Bloody Parrots be housed with other non-aggressive species due to the fact Bloody Parrots cannot defend themselves by biting as other fish do, due to the deformity of their mouths.

Too, I would recommend a larger foot print of the tank in length compared to a tall tank, giving the fish more room to swim horizontally.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/parrot-cichlid/149461-bloody-parrot-advice.html

Ken