Can only using Eggshells help keep Nerite snail Shells healthy?

Roboticsbede

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank with some plants, all of them are doing fine. However, I would like to purchase a Nerite snail to eat Algae, but my tap water ph is around 6.5 - 6.8, I was first thinking about buffering up the PH using Baking Soda, but I've never done it before and I was afraid it would harm the plants and my Betta, at the same time I also do not know how to keep the PH constant. I've done my research and what I could find is saying Nerite snails can't be in too acidic water because their shells would dissolve. So I assume just using egg shells would keep their shells healthy. If my assumption is wrong please tell on on how to keep a stable PH and what should I do.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Egg shells would add a source of calcium but I don't think it will raise the pH. I think the shells would still become pitted over time in water that acidic. Many people add crushed coral to increase pH, but I'm not sure how this would effect your plants.

OP
Roboticsbede

Roboticsbede

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmbersToAshes said:
Egg shells would add a source of calcium but I don't think it will raise the pH. I think the shells would still become pitted over time in water that acidic. Many people add crushed coral to increase pH, but I'm not sure how this would effect your plants.
Thanks for the tip!

New Threads