Can one death cause another?

1. melonjake Initiate Member

I have had a 10 gal. tank for about 2 months now, all my nitrate levels are correct and I had a dwarf gourami die, then 2 days later my male swordtail died, and now my only platy is looking like he is on his last fin.  They all kind of floated near the bottom and stopped eating.
    The rest of the fish are acting normal. I do weekly 25% water changes and I siphon the gravel every 2 weeks. I have no live plants and my temp stays around 82ºF. Could the first death caused the rest of them?
    I have left:
    1 Platy
    3 Zebra Danio's
    1 Female Swordtail
    2 Cory Cats

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

2. chris02_84 Member Member

what are your nitrite readings?

3. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

And what are your Ammonia readings?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

At the beginning your tank was overstocked. When a fish dies if it stays in the tank any time at all it will cause the ammonia to spike. If the tank has only been set up for two months then It probably wasn't cycled when the fish were added. This can cause fish to die.
    For now it's stocked at capacity. Can you give us your water test readings please, ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate.
    Carol

5. melonjake Initiate Member

I don't have a nitrite and nitrate test kit but I will get one and post the reading but my ammonia level is zero and my Ph is 7. I use the dropper type testors.
    How long does it take for a tank to cycle?

Thanks

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! We have all been in your shoes, and that's why we're here now to help you get your tank beautiful and healthy! Once you understand the cycling process and how to use your test results to diagnose what's going on in your tank(s), you will have so much more pleasure and enjoyment in the hobby! I added the letter s to the word tank for a reason, because you already have the symptoms of multiple tank syndrome (MTS) by showing this much concern for your fish. It won't be long before you have to have another bigger tank. We don't try and cure the MTS disease, but actually encourage it! Here's a link to articles here on FishLore that might help you better understand the cycling process and a few other things that might help you avoid future mistakes in the hobby:

https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0

It's great to have you with us, and hope you enjoy the site! ;)

7. melonjake Initiate Member

Thanks guys for all your help! Everything is good so far no more deaths. It's good to know that there is a place to go when I have a problem. Thanks.