Can Non Albino Bristlenose Catfish Have Red Eyes?

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My "Albino" bristlenose catfish, which I thought was for sure albino thanks to his red eyes, scared the heck out of me when I noticed two black patches. I figured they were probably injuries from him being aggressive towards the black one. Then, while trying to get some pictures, I noticed something else... Aside from his scales being much darker than usual as he's trying to camoflague himself, the stripes on the main fin on his back have turned black too- it's natural pigment. Still trying to get pics, he's inside the fake skull right now so I can't get any of the two black patches. One is on his nose, the other on his back. He's about 2 years old, the tank is still stable aside from a few nematodes and it's due for a water change. His scales are all much darker than usual, almost light brown instead of his usual bright gold. I've seen my other one turn from black to brown and back again.

Last edited by a moderator:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

As of modern science, it's genetically impossible for any albino animal to have non-red eyes. This is due to because of the lack of melanin that makes the skin pigment is also lacking in the eye pigment. The red/pink we see is actually the blood vessels.

Post a pic when you can to make sure there isn't any external or internal problem that meg be ailing him!

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will be. I was asking not if albinos can not have red eyes, but rather, can ones that aren't albino have them? Also, could it be possible I was wrong on his gender and they're breeding or something? He does have much bigger bristles than my other one. Got some pics of her too. She's older. I don't think he'll come out of the skull for a while... I'll wait to post them all at once.
Edit: I can find so many threads on the internet with so many people finding this and never any with a solution as to what it is or anything. =[ I really hope it is just pigment and I have a very moody hormonal fish or something.

Last edited:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will be. I was asking not if albinos can not have red eyes, but rather, can ones that aren't albino have them? Also, could it be possible I was wrong on his gender and they're breeding or something? He does have much bigger bristles than my other one. Got some pics of her too. She's older. I don't think he'll come out of the skull for a while... I'll wait to post them all at once.
Oops! I'm sorry, I misread haha. Anyways, it can, but it's uncommon; you have a better chance if seeing it on leucistic, but the red eyes in even these types of colorings are pretty minimal at best.

And BN gender usually is more based on number of bristles rather than size (although size does play a part). Males will have a lot lol.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope you don't mind that I keep updating every now and then. My corydoris seem to be trying to breed again so I think there might have been a temp drop somehow while the lights were off. Must have been a cold night yesterday.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha update all you like! It's interesting to hear what may be happening in your tanks

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used the long grabber thing I got back when I had a turtle shedding scutes everywhere and eating them to turn the fake skull around. He definately has black stripes on many of his fins, a few black patches, and a big red splotch on his head that I've read may be associated with him being in breeding condition. I only have the two bristlenose catfish and he is the more aggressive one, luckily though I've only had to separate them once when he tore the tail of the black one while they were fighting over who got to eat the plastic off the heater. I can't even read the temperature on the heater anymore. XD It hasn't been in in ages and it has a special cover that can't be taken off so fish can't burn themselves on it, it's definately not heater burns. Just seems to be pigment and hormones. I just need to wait for my mum to wake up to send me the pics since I can't connect the camera to my computer.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Right, got the pics. My feeder fish photobombed two of them though. XD
Edit: Can someone identify the gender? I'm positive the black is female, but the bristles kept growing on the albino. And no longer sure if it's actually albino. Also yes two pics are of the black one under the filter for reference on how much shorter her bristles are.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Right, got the pics. My feeder fish photobombed two of them though. XD
Edit: Can someone identify the gender? I'm positive the black is female, but the bristles kept growing on the albino. And no longer sure if it's actually albino. Also yes two pics are of the black one under the filter for reference on how much shorter her bristles are.
I had a nice albino male that had a patch of brown on him, him and my albino females produced only albino fry and the eyes were red (like your male), the red patch on his skull is a breeding color, my blue eyed male has been sporting this color for a while now but I don't think his girl wants to give him the time of day lol, my red marble male also sports this.
A note, females do not get bristles up the face just around the lip, they can be as long as a males, they just do not go up the snoot like the males do.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I think he ruined his chances with her when he shredded her tail over the heater. XD
Also the bristle thing on females can depend on subspecies, and these two are the same subspecies. Her bristles do go up the snout but only about half as much as his, and are all much shorter.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I think he ruined his chances with her when he shredded her tail over the heater. XD
Also the bristle thing on females can depend on subspecies, and these two are the same subspecies. Her bristles do go up the snout but only about half as much as his, and are all much shorter.
Female bristles should not go up the snout, they do not extend past the lip line on females, this is a trait of all bristlenose. (If the female even gets bristles that is.)

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, so I have two males then. I was thrown off by Whiscash having smaller/less bristles, a wider body and being slightly smaller than Barboach despite being older. XD

Last edited:

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found more of their food stores today. They keep making these stores of food and hiding them in hard to see/find places, it makes the water so bad. =[

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So last night my albino corydoris swam into the side of the tank face first with a big loud thud. XD

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom